DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Door framing and crown molding finnishing question

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  javan 
#1 ·
I just got done with a project installing base molding in my house and I filled the nail holes and left the primed molding unpainted. I also caulked the top to make it look flush against the wall.

Now I have a new property with new crown molding installed as well as new doors with framing.

It's a pretty clean job who ever did it, now how should I finnish it? Do doors need to get painted? Door frame get painted? What do I do with the case molding and crown molding?

See less See more
#2 ·
Generally, everything gets painted, unless you are using natrual-wood trim, which you aren't.

It looks like almost everything is pre-primed, so you will not need to do that step (except for those edges of the doors and the unprimed parts of your door drim.)

Assuming everything is clean, after you prime what needs to be primed, simply topcoat with two coats of the quality paint or waterbourne enamel of your choice. The usual method to apply is with a 2 1/2 angle-sash brush.

SirWired

#3 ·
Generally, everything gets painted, unless you are using natrual-wood trim, which you aren't.

It looks like almost everything is pre-primed, so you will not need to do that step (except for those edges of the doors and the unprimed parts of your door drim.)

Assuming everything is clean, after you prime what needs to be primed, simply topcoat with two coats of the quality paint or waterbourne enamel of your choice. The usual method to apply is with a 2 1/2 angle-sash brush.

SirWired
lol I have my work cut out for me then. Should I fill the nail holes or just paint?

If I'm painting the crown molding, ceiling and wall in diff colors, what order should it be done?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.