Door Framing And Crown Molding Finnishing Question - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2008, 11:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Door framing and crown molding finnishing question

I just got done with a project installing base molding in my house and I filled the nail holes and left the primed molding unpainted. I also caulked the top to make it look flush against the wall.

Now I have a new property with new crown molding installed as well as new doors with framing.

It's a pretty clean job who ever did it, now how should I finnish it? Do doors need to get painted? Door frame get painted? What do I do with the case molding and crown molding?

Advertisement

amdspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 502

Generally, everything gets painted, unless you are using natrual-wood trim, which you aren't.

It looks like almost everything is pre-primed, so you will not need to do that step (except for those edges of the doors and the unprimed parts of your door drim.)

Assuming everything is clean, after you prime what needs to be primed, simply topcoat with two coats of the quality paint or waterbourne enamel of your choice. The usual method to apply is with a 2 1/2 angle-sash brush.

SirWired

Advertisement

sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwired View Post
Generally, everything gets painted, unless you are using natrual-wood trim, which you aren't.

It looks like almost everything is pre-primed, so you will not need to do that step (except for those edges of the doors and the unprimed parts of your door drim.)

Assuming everything is clean, after you prime what needs to be primed, simply topcoat with two coats of the quality paint or waterbourne enamel of your choice. The usual method to apply is with a 2 1/2 angle-sash brush.

SirWired
lol I have my work cut out for me then. Should I fill the nail holes or just paint?

If I'm painting the crown molding, ceiling and wall in diff colors, what order should it be done?
Old 06-03-2008, 07:57 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdspitfire View Post
lol I have my work cut out for me then. Should I fill the nail holes or just paint?

If I'm painting the crown molding, ceiling and wall in diff colors, what order should it be done?
Yes, if the nail holes are not filled, they should be filled with wood filler, sanded, and primed. If not already done, all wood-wood and wood-wall 90-degree joints need a thin bead of caulk. (If you do not do this, gradual expansion and contraction of the wood over time will show unsightly gaps.)

The order to paint:
Ceiling
Wall
Trim

(Some folks do the trim before the wall, it really is your choice.)

Purchase all your primer and paint from an actual paint store (not a Big Box) and purchase products near or at the top of the product line. The lower-grade paints they all carry have a use, and that use is not a DIY paint job.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:45 PM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Nice job
You'll want to prime those unprimed pieces, then caulk any gaps and fill any holes
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:58 AM   #6
Another DIY Zombie

Rewards Points: 250

Obviously, your trim is alredy up, but I tend to put the finish coat of paint on the trim before it goes up. Then you only have to paint where the nails are. Just my $.02
javan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by javan View Post
Obviously, your trim is alredy up, but I tend to put the finish coat of paint on the trim before it goes up. Then you only have to paint where the nails are. Just my $.02
Yah, something I always ponder prior to firing up air compressor.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:49 PM   #8
Another DIY Zombie

Rewards Points: 250

I do this mostly because I hate to paint, and even hate it more when climbing a ladder, or sitting on my butt! However, I have had to install a bit w/o painting and the SO was not happy that she had to paint it installed....

Advertisement

javan is offline   Reply With Quote