DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Painting (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/)
-   -   Door framing and crown molding finnishing question (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/door-framing-crown-molding-finnishing-question-21727/)

amdspitfire 06-01-2008 10:56 PM

Door framing and crown molding finnishing question
 
I just got done with a project installing base molding in my house and I filled the nail holes and left the primed molding unpainted. I also caulked the top to make it look flush against the wall.

Now I have a new property with new crown molding installed as well as new doors with framing.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...2/Image004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...2/Image005.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...2/Image006.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...2/Image007.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...2/Image008.jpg

It's a pretty clean job who ever did it, now how should I finnish it? Do doors need to get painted? Door frame get painted? What do I do with the case molding and crown molding?

sirwired 06-02-2008 08:48 PM

Generally, everything gets painted, unless you are using natrual-wood trim, which you aren't.

It looks like almost everything is pre-primed, so you will not need to do that step (except for those edges of the doors and the unprimed parts of your door drim.)

Assuming everything is clean, after you prime what needs to be primed, simply topcoat with two coats of the quality paint or waterbourne enamel of your choice. The usual method to apply is with a 2 1/2 angle-sash brush.

SirWired

amdspitfire 06-03-2008 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirwired (Post 127486)
Generally, everything gets painted, unless you are using natrual-wood trim, which you aren't.

It looks like almost everything is pre-primed, so you will not need to do that step (except for those edges of the doors and the unprimed parts of your door drim.)

Assuming everything is clean, after you prime what needs to be primed, simply topcoat with two coats of the quality paint or waterbourne enamel of your choice. The usual method to apply is with a 2 1/2 angle-sash brush.

SirWired

lol I have my work cut out for me then. Should I fill the nail holes or just paint?

If I'm painting the crown molding, ceiling and wall in diff colors, what order should it be done?

sirwired 06-03-2008 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amdspitfire (Post 127514)
lol I have my work cut out for me then. Should I fill the nail holes or just paint?

If I'm painting the crown molding, ceiling and wall in diff colors, what order should it be done?

Yes, if the nail holes are not filled, they should be filled with wood filler, sanded, and primed. If not already done, all wood-wood and wood-wall 90-degree joints need a thin bead of caulk. (If you do not do this, gradual expansion and contraction of the wood over time will show unsightly gaps.)

The order to paint:
Ceiling
Wall
Trim

(Some folks do the trim before the wall, it really is your choice.)

Purchase all your primer and paint from an actual paint store (not a Big Box) and purchase products near or at the top of the product line. The lower-grade paints they all carry have a use, and that use is not a DIY paint job.

SirWired

slickshift 06-03-2008 08:45 PM

Nice job
You'll want to prime those unprimed pieces, then caulk any gaps and fill any holes

javan 06-09-2008 09:58 AM

Pre-Paint the Trim
 
Obviously, your trim is alredy up, but I tend to put the finish coat of paint on the trim before it goes up. Then you only have to paint where the nails are. Just my $.02

amdspitfire 06-09-2008 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by javan (Post 128925)
Obviously, your trim is alredy up, but I tend to put the finish coat of paint on the trim before it goes up. Then you only have to paint where the nails are. Just my $.02

Yah, something I always ponder prior to firing up air compressor.

javan 06-09-2008 01:49 PM

I do this mostly because I hate to paint, and even hate it more when climbing a ladder, or sitting on my butt! However, I have had to install a bit w/o painting and the SO was not happy that she had to paint it installed....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved