DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Does Milled Poplar need to be sanded

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  user1007 
#1 ·
Modern Contemporary Room - Plain Flatstock Poplar freshly milled and planed to spec.

Just short of paint prep - does this stuff need to be sanded - scuffed at 100, 120, etc grit
It's not getting stained and the boards are pretty onpoint.

#4 ·
Like I said earlier- I haven't used Gardz on MDF- it is kind of rubbery ( which is good for what it is supposed to do) and don't know how it sands.
But normally you would prime, sand smooth, fill holes and caulk, 2 finish coats.
that is standard procedure.

#5 ·
Look at the stock at a side angle. Most often there's mill marks that look like lines across the wood from the plainer.
I always sand any flat stock before priming with about 120 grit paper to prevent having to load up sand paper after it's primed.

#7 · (Edited)
Gardz would not be my choice for a sealer/primer on new wood but will work fine I guess. I would first sand the wood to what you want for a surface with paper starting at 100 and then on to 120. Then I would seal it with a 50/50 mix of processed (not raw) lindseed oil and a solvent like mineral spirits.

Let it dry and evaporate. Then I would sand it again with 120 and follow up with a nice enamel underlay primer.

Two coats of nice finish over the top of all. It should last you until you grow tired of the color.

If you are in Virginia, you could rip the roof off to be safe and install vinyl and never have to paint again! I personally think the sooner we start using vinyl for interior surfaces the better. I am out of day to day painting now so could give rat's posterior about my brothers in white. And my fave Maryland guy on this site paints wearing no pants and I know he has crabs!:thumbsup:

#11 ·
I guess if you get your trim from a place that uses a planer to crank it out, it could come out a little rough. And rather square and Shakerish in appearance? And if you looked at it from an angle you might see some surface defects? Wonder how a planer deals with these?:yes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.