Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2011, 11:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Do you guys buy cheap paint or pay the extra for quality paint?

I personally think it's worth it to pay the extra. Every time I've bought paint from walmart I've regretted it. It takes forever to dry because you have to apply so many coats, and I've even had some of it peel off before!

What do you guys think?

maryjane23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:14 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 22

Quality from a real paint store only

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Jason@API (12-02-2011)
Old 12-02-2011, 03:40 AM   #3
liscenced electrician

Depends, I've never had a problem with cheap primer and paint over fresh drywall. Whenever I've done color changes over existing drywall I go to a paint store.

What am I missing by using cheap paint?
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy21 View Post
Depends, I've never had a problem with cheap primer and paint over fresh drywall. Whenever I've done color changes over existing drywall I go to a paint store.

What am I missing by using cheap paint?
I don't know Jimmy. I noticed you're an electrician, do you put cheap electrical components in new construction, and quality ones in older, existing homes? Of course, I mean in theory.

Maryjane, it's a crapshoot. Some times/people get away with using lower quality products, meaning it's not guaranteed to fail, but the chances it will are higher. The difference in price is in the can. Higher priced products are better engineered, have higher quality ingredients, and are better equipped to handle the wider range of situations they may encounter. You're not just paying for the name. Do you feel lucky?
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:51 AM   #5

I've been using Sherwin Williams lately and like it so far. Look for their 40% off sales, they have them fairly often.
housegsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:17 AM   #6
ltd

i only use quality paint s/w super paint ,today in about i hour i'm going to be rolling behr paint .my client chose a funky color from home depot, i don't want to get it color matched at s/w so theirs no room for ,oh they must have made it wrong, no it is what it is .any who i have no doubt that this paint will preform very well, do i think sherwin williams is better yea of course i do. but i would not be using this behr if i thought i would have problems. p/s now doing wood work is a different animal you have to use the good stuff to get a good finish
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #7
liscenced electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
I don't know Jimmy. I noticed you're an electrician, do you put cheap electrical components in new construction, and quality ones in older, existing homes? Of course, I mean in theory.
[/COLOR]

I just figure paint has a harder time sticking on existing stuff. On new sheetrock that's freshly primered. There's no reason it wouldn't stick
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
Rubbin walls since'79

You may be right- but primers can do more than just stick. If you are doing more than a flat- you need it to seal well so your finish comes to true sheen. A quality primer/ sealer will do this. And good primers aren't that expensive anyway- and are "liquid insurance"!
Old 12-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 24

I've used $8/gallon paint from Walmart and never had a problem. Two coats and I get full coverage. I can see why people would use premium paint, but there are times where the cheap stuff isn't too shabby.
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I used to call in color codes to my real paint store. Quarts and gallons and fivers would show up with dollups of hair dried color on the top. When I showed up, at 6 or 7, long before the Orange Apron people store can ask people to work? The Benjamin Moore store had free and decent donuts.

"Nobody is going to like this you know."

Said in front of my brothers in white at times. Most of the fools lacked any sense of daring. You could not spot anything off white on them. Maybe a hint of mint green. I knew that Bubba got some, as we say, from his client or the pet sheep.

Anyhow. I was able to take paint back to my Benjamin Moore supplier. I have never had to take paint back to a box store. I have just been forced to work with the crap when donated.

Sheep and real painters naturally shy away from BEHRs do they not?

Last edited by user1007; 12-02-2011 at 11:57 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #11

Ive used glidden or dulux for at least 15 years, never had a problem with it. for trim we always used benjamin more impervo oil which is 62.00 a gallon around here but its the best paint i've ever used.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #12
Painting Company, NY

We won't use cheap primer or paint. If we did do it at a customers request we don't guarantee our work in writing. We only guarantee our work when we are using the products we spec. Cheaper paints don't have quality binders, pigments and lack acrylic resin.
Obviously if we are on a nc project we use what's specd.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
i only use quality paint s/w super paint ,today in about i hour i'm going to be rolling behr paint .my client chose a funky color from home depot, i don't want to get it color matched at s/w so theirs no room for ,oh they must have made it wrong, no it is what it is .any who i have no doubt that this paint will preform very well, do i think sherwin williams is better yea of course i do. but i would not be using this behr if i thought i would have problems. p/s now doing wood work is a different animal you have to use the good stuff to get a good finish
So how did it go?
Old 12-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #14
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I used to call in color codes to my real paint store. Quarts and gallons and fivers would show up with dollups of hair dried color on the top. When I showed up, at 6 or 7, long before the Orange Apron people store can ask people to work? The Benjamin Moore store had free and decent donuts.

"Nobody is going to like this you know."

Said in front of my brothers in white at times. Most of the fools lacked any sense of daring. You could not spot anything off white on them. Maybe a hint of mint green. I knew that Bubba got some, as we say, from his client or the pet sheep.

Anyhow. I was able to take paint back to my Benjamin Moore supplier. I have never had to take paint back to a box store. I have just been forced to work with the crap when donated.

Sheep and real painters naturally shy away from BEHRs do they not?
Old 12-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 14

Is cheap paint really cheap? Maybe you buy $15 per gallon paint at WallyWorld & because it doesn't cover well you have to do 3 or 4 coats on your living room walls & you end up buying 4 gallons. Say you go to SW and get some SuperPaint, you luck out and it's 40% off, it covers nicely in 2 coats & you only had to buy 2 gallons @ $25 per gallon on sale. Let's say you did the work yourself........your time is valuable and instead of one day, your project takes 2 or 3 days with the cheap paint. With the SuperPaint, you're done in a day. Now, I submit to you, which paint is REALLY the cheaper paint?

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (12-02-2011)