Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2007, 06:42 PM   #1

Share |

Do I sand paint runs?

Painter put 2 coats of paint on the cabinets and it dried overnight. I don't like all the paint runs.

Can I sand those down with fine sandpaper before he does the last coast and then just insist he fix any runs as they happen? Or do I just wait until he is done and require he smooth all the cabinet paint?

Help!
momnkids2348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:48 PM   #2

Do I sand paint runs?

If I were paying someone to do a job and it turns out unsatisfactory, I wouldn't pay him/her until it's fixed. Unless he is going to lower his price for you doing some of the work, I would just let him do it. I would definately let him know BEFORE he applies the final coat. That way, if HE wants to sand it first, he can. You shouldn't get your hands dirty for a contracted job. Just my .02. Good luck!
Matt
leroyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:07 PM   #3

Do I sand paint runs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momnkids2348 View Post
Painter put 2 coats of paint on the cabinets and it dried overnight. I don't like all the paint runs.

Can I sand those down with fine sandpaper before he does the last coast and then just insist he fix any runs as they happen? Or do I just wait until he is done and require he smooth all the cabinet paint?

Help!
Do you know what the product was?
DIYHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Do I sand paint runs?

It depends on exactly what the paint is
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:21 PM   #5

Do I sand paint runs?

I had insisted on using Cabinet Coat because the white doesn't yellow and because of other persons on a Kitchen Remodeling forum all raved about it. It is an epoxy enamel that automatically levelled itself so perhaps the painter didn't realize that it would be more prone to running. He sprayed the paint on so I would think he could just go with a lighter coat if it started to run.

Everyone who has used this contractor has raved about his work. I also know this is the carpenter/painter that did the work for others. That's why I don't understand why he would let there be runs unless he was planning to sand them after the final coat or after it had hardened more.

Maybe he got mad at me for insisting on this paint. I don't know but I just hate pointing out things that need to be fixed.

momnkids2348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:39 AM   #6
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Do I sand paint runs?

Epoxy?
Yikes

Your sure it's not Acrylic or Alkyd?

Regardless, in re-reading your original post, I see it was contracted out
In that case, the answer is you don't do anything except call the contractor and tell them

They'll decide whether it should be sanded or razored off before re-coating, based on the product and their experience with it
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote