Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #1

Share |

Do I need to use a primer

I am painting my home this weekend with Valspar DuraMax. A few months ago, we had a new roof put on and there is some new, bare metal flashing sticking out from under the roof tiles and over the fascia. I know that the DuraMax has primer in it ... but, is the primer ok for the metal flashing, or do I need to get special primer for metal to cover that before I paint it?

LoveWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

The paint may claim to be self-priming but I assure you it does not have a primer in it. You should prime the flashing before painting.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Ask the paint guy at Blowes for the correct primer. I bet he knows
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #4

You need to use a primer spec'd for non-ferrous metal if it's bare. Three's a crowd, I concur with my fellows, what you have now alone will not suffice.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
LoveWarrior (04-17-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

Zinsser 123 is a good primer for metal.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
jschaben

My rule of thumb is: "If I think it might need primer, it does"

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. I'll prime it first.

Turns out Sherwin Williams is having a 40% off sale this weekend. 40% off their Duration would equal the cost of Valspar DuraMax. So, looks like I will be going with Duration.

That should make all the Sherwin Williams plants on this board happy.

But, I guess I'll still need primer [smirk].

Last edited by LoveWarrior; 04-18-2012 at 07:31 PM.
LoveWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #8

"That should make all the Sherwin Williams plants on this board happy."

You should get the primer from a Ben Moore store, that way you can spread the happiness to those plants as well.

I don't see these guys as 'plants', just loyal to what they know works. Most recommend purchasing from a real paint store, regardless of brand, as opposed to the big box.

I think I used Stix on my galvanized break metal flashing.
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWarrior View Post
Thanks everyone. I'll prime it first.

Turns out Sherwin Williams is having a 40% off sale this weekend. 40% off their Duration would equal the cost of Valspar DuraMax. So, looks like I will be going with Duration.

That should make all the Sherwin Williams plants on this board happy.

But, I guess I'll still need primer [smirk].
You asked us, not the other way around. You caught us, you figured it out. I'm really not a painter, that just a disguise. I'm really a mole, a secret agent for Ben Moore. My website is a front, dressed up to look like that of an average everyday painter, but it is really propaganda for Big Paint. Do the investigation. BM pays for my website, not directly though. They do it through a shell company based in the Cayman Islands. My family doesn't even know I work for BM, they think I'm a painter as well. I drive around all day looking for unsuspecting people that can be influenced to buy BM paint. My first stop each day is the BM store, where I receive my instructions and they apply paint to my clothes, hands, and face to make it appear I've toiling with the brush all day. Sometimes they have to put it in my hair, I hate that. Hey, it's not all glamour. You might think that living a double life of intrigue and mystery in a seaside resort is romantic, and it can be, but it's not all sand, surf, and bikinis. Every resort town has its dark alleys and seedy underbelly. And I'm constantly dodging bullets from the SW guys, who have more official stores in my local area, ba$tards. But hey, I do it all for you, and of course, my masters at BM. I'm so glad this whole charade is over, thank you. Thank you for encouraging me to come in from the cold.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
chrisn (04-19-2012), Evstarr (04-23-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 03:19 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
You asked us, not the other way around. You caught us, you figured it out. I'm really not a painter, that just a disguise. I'm really a mole, a secret agent for Ben Moore. My website is a front, dressed up to look like that of an average everyday painter, but it is really propaganda for Big Paint. Do the investigation. BM pays for my website, not directly though. They do it through a shell company based in the Cayman Islands. My family doesn't even know I work for BM, they think I'm a painter as well. I drive around all day looking for unsuspecting people that can be influenced to buy BM paint. My first stop each day is the BM store, where I receive my instructions and they apply paint to my clothes, hands, and face to make it appear I've toiling with the brush all day. Sometimes they have to put it in my hair, I hate that. Hey, it's not all glamour. You might think that living a double life of intrigue and mystery in a seaside resort is romantic, and it can be, but it's not all sand, surf, and bikinis. Every resort town has its dark alleys and seedy underbelly. And I'm constantly dodging bullets from the SW guys, who have more official stores in my local area, ba$tards. But hey, I do it all for you, and of course, my masters at BM. I'm so glad this whole charade is over, thank you. Thank you for encouraging me to come in from the cold.

How do I sign up?
Old 04-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
Member at Large

I have a question.

How does the primer in the "all in one primer/paint" know how to get between the wall and the paint?

That one just has me stumped.
oldpaintdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #12
Just a DIY guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpaintdoc View Post
I have a question.

How does the primer in the "all in one primer/paint" know how to get between the wall and the paint?

That one just has me stumped.
the primer has faster molecules. They run to the wall surface before the paint has time to catch up.

It's "science"
M3 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M3 Pete For This Useful Post:
Brushjockey (04-19-2012), jsheridan (04-20-2012), user1007 (04-20-2012)
Old 04-20-2012, 12:53 AM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Pete View Post
the primer has faster molecules. They run to the wall surface before the paint has time to catch up.

It's "science"
So the lids on both sides of the can are just a gimmick? I thought if you opened the can with the label upside down the paint would stir as primer and right side up it would become paint?

How do the self-applying paints work. I have read you just have to put them on a spinning platform in the middle of the room and leave them for an hour or two?
Old 04-20-2012, 01:04 AM   #14
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
How do I sign up?
Heard you have to stop eating Maryland soft shells and learn to chow down on the horshoe crabs that wash up on the beaches of Cape May. And at the end of the day, secret agent or not, you have to admit to others you are from New Jersey. Paint in it or not, male or female, you have to make your hair big! And you need super bass speakers in the car or truck or a ghetto blaster if you do not have a vehicle. Finally you have to know how to break dance on the sand in a Speedo without getting friction burns.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:53 AM   #15
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Heard you have to stop eating Maryland soft shells and learn to chow down on the horshoe crabs that wash up on the beaches of Cape May. And at the end of the day, secret agent or not, you have to admit to others you are from New Jersey. Paint in it or not, male or female, you have to make your hair big! And you need super bass speakers in the car or truck or a ghetto blaster if you do not have a vehicle. Finally you have to know how to break dance on the sand in a Speedo without getting friction burns.

I could do all that, except the first part. I have heard and seen( on the food network) that horseshoe crabs are nasty. Plus I hate NJ, at least the driving a truck at night part.