DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Do I need primer?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  epson 
#1 ·
The stairway to the basement and the basement itself are painted in a deep chocolate brown. I'd like to lighten this up. Do I need to prime it first?

#4 ·
Actually, you don't know if you need primer until you know what type of paint is on there currently. If it's latex, then just sand it and clean it and you will be fine. If it's oil base, then you will absolutely need an oil based primer unless you use an oil based paint in which case you can just sand it and clean it first.

#8 ·
i would tsp wash first, let dry. then apply one coat of tinted primer, then let dry, then apply only ONE coat of finish. unless you are going to scrub the wall a lot or wash a lot, a second coat of finish is overkill. remember, you are still doing two coats with the primer included.

#6 ·
Because if you're painting over a previously painted surface you will be looking for rough, peeling, or chipped areas for sanding and patching. The best way to find flaws is to remove all the furniture from the room. If this isn't possible, cluster the furniture in one area, and cover it and the floors with drop cloths. Take down the draperies and the drapery hardware. Loosen the light fixtures; let them hang and wrap them with plastic bags. Remove the wall plates from electrical outlets and switches (if you intend to paint them the same color as the wall, do so while they're off the wall). If you find flaws, now is the time to fix them. If you don’t, then wash down the surfaces to be painted with warm water and a good household detergent or wall-cleaning soap to remove soot, grease, cigarette smoke, and airborne dirt. Using a sponge just slightly less than dripping wet, go over a vertical strip of wall about 2 feet wide. Squeeze the dirty water out of the sponge into a separate pail or down the drain. Go over the wall with the squeezed-out sponge to pick up as much of the remaining dirt as possible. Squeeze out the sponge again, and rinse it in clean water. Then, sponge the same area once more to remove the last of the dirt and detergent residue. This routine sounds tedious, but it actually goes fast, and you'll end up with a wall that is clean and provides a good surface for a new coat of paint.

Don't attempt to paint over a surface that already has a glossy finish, even if it is clean. Glossy surfaces don't provide enough adhesion. And even if the paint goes on, it may not stay on. To cut the gloss on an entire wall, wash it down with a strong solution of tri-sodium phosphate (TSP), available at hardware or paint stores. Mix the TSP powder into hot water until no more will dissolve. Swab it on the wall, and sponge it dry. Rinse with clear water, then sponge dry again. If TSP is not available, you can use a commercial de-glosser, a solution that you swab on glossy surfaces before painting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.