Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #1

Share |

Do I need to prime first?

I'm used to priming things without paint, or if I'm going over a darker color.

In this case I'm just going over dirty old white with new white. I think the paint is a flat and I'll probably want to go over it with a satin or semi-gloss to make it more durable, as it's a rental.

I'm leaning strongly towards Sherwin Williams instead of the BEHR that I usually use.

Should I prime this first?

TIA.

Last edited by PM5K; 04-23-2011 at 12:14 PM.
PM5K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
Learning by Doing

Yes. And you really need to wash that wall before you do anything.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #3

Shows what I know, I figured quality paint would be enough.

While I'm asking, for anyone that uses Sherwin Williams, what line do you guys prefer/recommend?
Old 04-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #4

From a guy who's done a lot of rental repaints (I use to live in a huge complex that I did repainting for, in fact that's how I found the place I moved to. I painted the places first, then moved into an apartment that I painted and liked.) We used MAB Fresh Kote flat on walls that looked like that, no problem, covered like a champ one coat. IMO, no other brand has the hide that MAB has. From time to time some stains would bleed through, touch with oil and reflat. Short of that I would coat entirely with Zinsser oil based Cover Stain primer/sealer, one coat tinted to match your finish. Then apply one coat of flat with a 1/2 inch roller. Tell the paint guy at SW you need a low priced, high hide interior flat.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #5

You would be surprised at how often white does not cover over white in one coat. As bad as those walls look, I say prime.......however, having done many rentals in the past, you hate to spend a lot of time and money on walls that get abused all over again with new renters. Either way you're looking at two coats of paint at least on those "abused, dirty" walls.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
You would be surprised at how often white does not cover over white in one coat. As bad as those walls look, I say prime.......however, having done many rentals in the past, you hate to spend a lot of time and money on walls that get abused all over again with new renters. Either way you're looking at two coats of paint at least on those "abused, dirty" walls.
Govt regs are making white harder to cover white with two coats anymore. That's why I suggested a color, like bone white, for increased cover. As to primer, I think anything short of an oil primer/sealer is a waste of time. Those walls look like they need some serious chemicals. I wouldn't waste my time washing them either if a rental. OP, a thought to ponder, the higher the gloss level, the harder to cover. You say go with a sheen for durability, against what? Do you think the only reason those walls are dirty as they are is because they're flat and the people couldn't wash them? Sheen paint will get dirty and grimy as well, will you simply wash them the next time instead of repainting? The obvious answer to both is no. You should focus on getting the best coverage to combat what is inevitable and do that at each turnover. Concern about maintenance between tenants/recoats is wasted effort, respectfully. Get in, make them look decent quickly as possible, get out.
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
mustangmike3789 (05-05-2011)
Old 04-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #7

So if I prime, what do you guys recommend? I know Killz is the most well known, but I've heard Zinser is really good. I know Sherwin Williams also makes a primer.

I've just never been a big fan of flat paint, even in my own home.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:53 PM   #8
ltd

imho no need to prime unless this is nicotine or water stains.are you wrong to prime ? no. but i think for a apt. its over kill. what i would do and this is coming from a sherwin williams guy .2 coats valspar 2000 contractor satin in a off white from lowe's .about 20 dollars a gal. spot clean and paint if you want s/w go super paint more money but a great paint

Last edited by ltd; 04-23-2011 at 05:55 PM.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:24 PM   #9

I was at the SW just a few minutes ago, and by my description he said I probably wouldn't need to prime. Just like you're saying he said if there were smoke stains or mold or something like that I would, but if it's just generally grungy as I described it I shouldn't need to prime.

I told him I'd bring some pics next time to give him a better idea.

I'm wondering too though like you said if I'd be better off with some contractor type bulk paint. I used some Olympic Fast Hide Commercial Quality and it was pretty cheap and covered decently, certainly no worse than the BEHR, but it was like half the price.

Super Paint in a satin runs 45.99 a gallon.

Last edited by PM5K; 04-23-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
Painting Company, NY

There should be no need to prime, unless you have stains. If this is a rental I would use Sherwin Williams Promar 200, if your looking to spend less money you could use Promar 400, or SW master hide. All three will cover good in two coats, Promar 200 is the best of the three and master hide is the lowest, but will still cover in two coats.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #11
Learning by Doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Govt regs are making white harder to cover white with two coats anymore.
Reference needed..... Please.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #12

Keep the recommendations coming, seems split between priming and not.

That Valspar sounds good since it's cheap. If it were my house I'd go Sherwin Williams, but I'm looking for the best bang for the buck since it's a rental.

SW isn't too expensive, but it adds up.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
Reference needed..... Please.
Whhhyyyy? Do you want me to provide scientific data that proves that the govt forcing paint cos to remove/reduce voc's is minimizing/changing the effectiveness of products? I don't have any. But, I have extensive daily experience working with products whose qualities and characteristics I know well, and those have changed. And, I know other contractors with the same complaints. I've had discussions with paint store employees who openly admit it, they're getting complaints. I just had a discussion with a sales rep for a prominent exterior stain company who told me that practically no products are performing as they used to, and he's getting complaints. That's all the reference I can supply.
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
mustangmike3789 (05-05-2011)
Old 04-23-2011, 11:27 PM   #14

I'm no expert obviously, but I've heard that before about paint.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:00 AM   #15

Right now I'm leaning towards the Valspar Contractor Finishes 2000. Flat for the ceiling, eggshell for the walls, and semi for the trim.

I figure I have to clean the walls to some degree no matter what, I'm sure there's dust and cobwebs. So I'm leaning towards using a stiff bristle brush, and then maybe some diluted TSP.

After that I may just try out a section to see if the paint covers without primer. If it doesn't I'll go ahead and prime it.

Thoughts?