Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Do I HAVE to remove firplace doors to paint them?

Hi All,
I know the whole "I hate my brass fireplace doors" is a very common theme, but I have a more specific question about painting the doors and hardware: I understand (and correct me if i'm wrong) that I need to rough up the surfave I want to paint, and that I have to use a high temp paint, but...do I have to use the spray paint kind of paint, or is there a nice brush on paint I could use? And the 2nd part of my question: can I do all this without removing the doors and taking them outside? I was really hoping to work on this project over the course of a few days while my daughter naps. Thanks in advance for your advice

Ali

alicali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicali View Post
Hi All,
I know the whole "I hate my brass fireplace doors" is a very common theme, but I have a more specific question about painting the doors and hardware: I understand (and correct me if i'm wrong) that I need to rough up the surfave I want to paint, and that I have to use a high temp paint, but...do I have to use the spray paint kind of paint, or is there a nice brush on paint I could use? And the 2nd part of my question: can I do all this without removing the doors and taking them outside? I was really hoping to work on this project over the course of a few days while my daughter naps. Thanks in advance for your advice

Ali
You don't "have" to do anything. Thing is a brushed coat is gonna look like a brushed coat. Some paints and techniques might get you close but a brush coat is a brush coat and a spray coat is a spray coat. JMHO

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

When you say fireplace doors what to do you mean? Are the glance with metal trim or something? Or metal screens that pull across like curtains.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote