DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Painting (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/)
-   -   Do I HAVE add more compound (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/do-i-have-add-more-compound-177851/)

Mstrlucky74 04-22-2013 04:51 PM

Do I HAVE add more compound
 
Primed newly Sheetrock walls. There are one or two areas where u can see it wasn't sanded enough prior to priming(you can see the edges of compound). Is there anyway it can just be sanded down and primed again or does a skim coat have to be applied? Thanks a lot.

princelake 04-22-2013 05:07 PM

skim, sand, prime.

jsheridan 04-22-2013 05:43 PM

Follow prince, there's no sanding joint compound after primer.

Mstrlucky74 04-22-2013 05:58 PM

It is so light and hardly noticeable... Will another coat of prime then 2 coats of paint cover it

princelake 04-22-2013 07:26 PM

i havent seen it but most of the time it will be seen. a matte paint without direct sunlight/direct lighting hides all kinds of imperfections. but your probably going to have to skim sand and paint it or live with the minor imperfection

jsheridan 04-22-2013 07:36 PM

Between coat touch spackle work is where I use lightweight vinyl spackle. Shrinks very little and dries fast.

oh'mike 04-22-2013 07:37 PM

That sort of mudding is fast and simple---just do it---

Dorado 04-22-2013 08:50 PM

I'm probably the least experienced one here, but I'd still try sanding a piece of it and see what happens.

jsheridan 04-23-2013 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorado (Post 1165267)
I'm probably the least experienced one here, but I'd still try sanding a piece of it and see what happens.

Trust issues? Doubtful? Cynical?
How do you think we've arrived at our particular advice Dorado? The very experience you claim you lack.
I already know what happens.
All sanding does at this point is create a bigger problem that requires spackle, why waste your time and create a larger fix?.

Mstrlucky74 04-23-2013 04:53 AM

The guy who did the tape and compound said i can try to add another coat of primer to the area and that might cover it.

jsheridan 04-23-2013 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 (Post 1165415)
The guy who did the tape and compound said i can try to add another coat of primer to the area and that might cover it.

Trust issues? Doubtful? Cynical?
And that guy does what for a living?

Dorado 04-23-2013 09:17 AM

If there's a bump that's no higher than the thickness of the primer then as long as the primer is sandable it seems it can be sanded out. If it doesn't work on a small test area then clean up with a sponge and skim coat it and you only wasted about a minute.

There's another thread where people are saying that paint can hide some slight imperfections, so another coat of primer may work too.

chrisn 04-23-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorado (Post 1165530)
If there's a bump that's no higher than the thickness of the primer then as long as the primer is sandable it seems it can be sanded out. If it doesn't work on a small test area then clean up with a sponge and skim coat it and you only wasted about a minute.

There's another thread where people are saying that paint can hide some slight imperfections, so another coat of primer may work too.


there you go, most likely these "people" are true experts:laughing:

oh'mike 04-23-2013 05:20 PM

Paint needs a smooth surface---some drywall touch ups are per for the course with new work---

Fill and sand--then prime the touch up----it's not a big chore----

I gave up on drywalling if the customer wishes to paint----now the price includes priming and touch ups----

To many homeowners do not do proper preparation for painting----which includes minor patching.

Dorado 04-23-2013 05:32 PM

"KILZ HIGH BUILD® is a unique, interior water-based primer that can be applied more thickly than most primers. It creates a finish equivalent to a fully prepared skim coat (Level 5 finish) when sprayed. Spray, brush or roll." So I guess nobody here thinks multiple coats of regular primer would accomplish the same. I think it would work for sure with enough coats but I'd at least try sanding after the coat that was already applied.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 AM.


Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved