Do Darker Colors Appear More Glossy? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2010, 05:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Do darker colors appear more glossy?

I painted the ceiling of my media room a very dark gray, almost black, with a flat sheen. It's been a few days and the paint still looks wet and glossy, equivalent to a satin sheen. Before I consider buying new paint and redoing it, I want to ask if darker colors just appear glossy because the light reflections are so obvious due to higher contrast.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Achilles97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Shouldn't look glossier although I suppose the added pigment could add some gloss. Doesn't sound right though.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,240

What brand of paint was it, dare I ask.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

I agree with Chrisn...what brand of paint? Generally speaking eggshells will leave more of a sheen the darker you go and flats themselves can at times also. It is caused by the amount of glycol based colorants that can increase a sheen level from pastels to the darker base type mixes.

Recommendation: Biased BM dealer here.....look into Ben Moore's Waterborne Ceiling Paint. This is what they call an ultra flat and also uses waterborne colorants that do not affect the sheen level. Here a link....BM508
BMDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:26 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDealer View Post
I agree with Chrisn...what brand of paint? Generally speaking eggshells will leave more of a sheen the darker you go and flats themselves can at times also. It is caused by the amount of glycol based colorants that can increase a sheen level from pastels to the darker base type mixes.

Recommendation: Biased BM dealer here.....look into Ben Moore's Waterborne Ceiling Paint. This is what they call an ultra flat and also uses waterborne colorants that do not affect the sheen level. Here a link....BM508
Thank you for the paint recommendation. I'll check it out.

The paint I used was Olympic.
Achilles97 is offline   Reply With Quote