Diy'er Runs Out Of Time & Tools Turning To The Pros - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2010, 03:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Diy'er runs out of time & tools turning to the Pros

Some Background...

My house was built '89 that was originally all Masonite siding, about 20 squares in all. Half the house siding is still good where there is no rot, but a quite few rough spots like paint flaking and had a few problems with wood peckers. The other 1/2 the siding was rotted out along with the Celotex(garbage) sheathing underneath it. I have spent all my free time & vacation time from the beginning of May to now roofing the house, tearing off the old(rotting) decks; the siding on the other 1/2 of the house that was damaged & the sheathing; and the old windows and that 1/2 as well. Then, I redid it all in HardiPlank siding & at the corners & around new windows with LP 540 series SmartTrim. This has taken longer than I have ever imagined it would

Now it's time to paint the exterior, which I lack the time, tools (pressure washer & paint sprayer), and experience to do it myself.

My father-in-law's friend is a Pro Painter, so he came over and bid the job at $900, I buy the paint, he & buddy only mask & spray 2 coats on the body of my paint (SW Duration - Billiard Green) and the trim, soffits, fascia, and gutters in a different color (SW Duration - Cork Wedge)

The Questions:

Does $900 sound like a fair price with no prep work like pressure washing, scrapping, sanding, or priming?

Concern I raised to him is that the SW paint rep suggested that a tinted oil-based primer be used on the entire surface of all but Hardi & foundation after the the prep work vs. the spot priming. He countered with the 2 top coats would be sufficient and no primer needed.
Who's right and who's wrong here?

She also suggested the same with the Hardi & foundation, but instead use Luxon primer. Seems like solid advice since the previously painted foundation is flaking etc. I understand Hardi is pre-primed, but then again there are edges the get dinged up and chipped during handling and/or installation. Again he said that's not necessary.
So who's right or wrong here?

Advertisement

Last edited by Learn2Build; 09-18-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Learn2Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

I would be very, very leery of a "pro" painter who would suggest painting without any prep work. The preparation is the single most important step in the process. If it is not prepped right, it does not matter what is applied.

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Learn2Build (09-18-2010)
Old 09-18-2010, 05:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I would be very, very leery of a "pro" painter who would suggest painting without any prep work. The preparation is the single most important step in the process. If it is not prepped right, it does not matter what is applied.
I believe he is expecting me to do the prep work of washing, scrapping, and sanding. Which if I understand correctly, the prep work is usually the majority of the painting job. The prep work was one of biggest time consumers and reasons for me hiring out.

What are your thoughts about priming everything vs. spot priming?

Thanks for thoughts, chrisn.
Learn2Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 540

As Chrisin said, be aware, prep is the key to a long lasting successful paint job, wash the surface, scrape and sand any loose/flaking paint, make repairs, prime any bare surfaces, calk, apply two coats of premium paint. Even though its hardiboard and your using Duration If the hardiboard is un-primed it needs to be primed and a pro should know that. $900.00 sounds real cheap to me. I don't know the size of your home, I won't get into pricing or what we charge, but that is cheap, even with you supplying paint. I wouldn't skimp on he prep work or priming.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,070

Spot priming is really all you need. Latex will stick to clean sound latex all day long. Unless you have staining or heavily soiled/dirty paint, a full prime is overkill.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:24 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
Spot priming is really all you need. Latex will stick to clean sound latex all day long. Unless you have staining or heavily soiled/dirty paint, a full prime is overkill.
But how many houses are REALLY in good shape by the time the homeowner decides it needs to be repainted? VERY RARE!!! Always prime first, even if it's just a precaution. It's very rare to have a homeowner decide to repaint their house when it's still in good shape. The only time this has happend in my experience is when the HO doesn't like the color.

Advertisement

hammerheart14 is offline   Reply With Quote