Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2006, 08:21 AM   #1

Share |

DIYer?

HI to all here.

I'll post here on occasion as I believe that I'm closer to being a DIYer than a professional contractor.

I'm currently running a very small Handyman operation (part time) and in the beginning phase of putting a business plan together along with attempting to appropriately increase my prices. Also going to find time to identify higher gross potential services to provide. Plenty to do!

I'll be prepping one side of a home for exterior paint today. The forecast calls for 20% showers this eve and T storms tommorow.

How do you folks make the whether to paint today or not call?

How much time should paint be on walls before rain and how long should one wait after a rain to paint?

Just read a caulk post here. Very handy.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:28 AM   #2
Painting Contractor

DIYer?

Hey...welcome and good luck with your endeavors~

The weather, for me, plays a vital part in my work outside, as I know it does for any contractor~especially painters. I have radar on my cell phone, so this helps me to be on top of it quite well, as I am able to stay ahead of rain...

It's one thing to 'prep', and another thing to do a full prep job. Are you sanding the exterior to bare wood? are you priming? Since it has rained a ton this season, I've had a rough time keeping up. Sometimes it would rain all day, and sometimes it would sprinkle. 20% chance means I work outside all day.....60% (and a view of a storm on radar)is a different story.

If you sand to bare wood, make sure and seal it before a drenching rain. If your just priming, you can be a little more flexible. If rain is unavoidable, see if you can do any soffit or underhang work. It also makes a difference on the exposure of the side your working on, the dry time of the primer, etc....in other words~factors could work in your favor, or against.

After a good rain, I usually give a house 1-2 days nice days to dry(if it is well sealed). But a moisture meter is a good thing to have. I find it more of a judgement call when you talk about how much time to paint before it rains. 1 hour is a lot different than 8 hours~lets put it that way.....

Paintguy26 is offline   Reply With Quote