Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2011, 12:23 PM   #1

Share |

DIY Whole House Project. Advice needed.

Our new Modular home will be showing up in a few weeks so I need to start planning to finish the interior. It's about 2100 SF , one story and has 8.5' trayed cielings and crown moulding throuought. The entire interior comes factory primed but in order to save the ($1.60/sf) finish painting fee and push off the need for color selection, we opted to do ALL the painting ourselves. (Before the floors are installed.) We've got "average" homeowner painting experience and I'd say (slightly) better than average DIY capabilities.
So my question is: How do you pro's recommend I attack this. I'm thinking cieling first, walls next, trim last?

Should I invest in a HVLP/Airless sprayer and learn to use it or would a roller be a better bet for an amature? Combination of both? (spray then dry roll?)

Any tips to ease the process or improve the outcome welcome.

Thanks much.

Dave

weehooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Do a search here on spraying. it will be enlightening.
Knowing how to apply paint is the easy way, not knowing means that you will be learning...

Ceiling, Trim,- tape off base ( and anything that gravity will put paint on, hand cut rest)
and walls.

Last edited by Brushjockey; 10-22-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #3

Thanks, Should ahve mentioned I have been searching. It is enlightening but a bit like drinking from a fire hose. Sprayers are a little confusing as to type/ brand/usage.
Baseboards are coming tacked in only so I'll remove them and paint them in the garage vs mask. No floors yet so that should ease things a bit.
Thanks !
Dave
Old 10-22-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

Spraying has a steep learning curve. if you haven't done it, and don't have someone to show you, i strongly recommend not.
As i said in many of those threads- it only takes a second to really screw up with a sprayer- at least with a brush it's gradual... lol. sad but true.
I personally think it is MUCH easier to finish with woodwork in place. For one thing - A finished job includes filling the nail holes and caulking the components. You would have to do that again after they were in place.
I also recommend using a high quality waterborne enamel for the trim, will be easier and look great- faster turn around etc.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #5

Wee, have you thought of contracting a painter to just shoot the place, with you backrolling. These days a lot of contractors hire themselves out for day projects, by the day. It may not be effective for you to spray, but it might for an experienced guy. The amount it cost you might justify you not spending all your time cutting and rolling. Just a thought.

Edit: I agree with Brushjockey, you want your baseboards fixed and caulked to the walls prior to painting the walls.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #6

All good info Guys. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. It will be listened to.
From what you say, and what I've read here, I'm thinking I'll pass on the sprayer. I've always done OK with a roller. Besides with rollers, we can both be paintign at one time. I was just hoping that the 4500 sf or so of surface/coat, could be tamed (time wise) with a sprayer.
I'd like to just contract it out but to be honest, the budget is getting tight and this is someplace I figure we might recoup some of the other overages.
FWIW, I do have the name of a (recommended) out of work painter that is looking for side jobs. I may contact her to at least quote the ceilings (which seem the most tedious of all painting jobs to me.).
Old 10-22-2011, 05:38 PM   #7
Rubbin walls since'79

I'll be honest- I see HO think that they'll save by DIY painting, but the paint is the finished product you will always see. I strongly recommend to the remodelers that i work with that the people that consider this give it some real thought.
Painting , although Home Depot would like you to think otherwise, is not easy. Not to do a good job.
And then read the handy quote in my sig from another of our esteemed contributors...
jsheridan (10-22-2011)
Old 10-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #8
ltd

one thing imho if you are thinking of hiring out any of the paint work , i think the money would be well spent on a painter to run all of your trim ,now am not talking about someone who thinks he can paint ,but some one that can fill nail holes ,caulk ,and lay down beautiful a finish .

ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (10-22-2011)