Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #1

Share |

DIY Skim coating

I need to skim coat some walls to cover MANY small nicks and scratches before I paint.

The walls are lathe and plaster.

I have 2 situations:
1) The walls were patched and already painted but it wasn't done properly.
The patches show through the paint job.
I want the walls to look nice and smooth.

I have been told I need to:
- Sand
- Skim coat
- Prime
- Paint

Is this right?

2) The walls had wallpaper which just came off by pulling it down.
This left a lot of some sort of strange glue/paint in layers and patches on the wall.
Some parts are peeling and some is stuck solid to the wall.
I have found I can easily remove it all with a steamer.

But now I have to fix all the nicks and cracks with a skim coat.

Any suggestions on what materials I need to use?
I know the tools for mudding but what kind of mud to use to skim coat?
Do I need to apply some sort of bonding agent or anything else?

Majoram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
DIY staff

DIY Skim coating

Wash the walls to make sure that all old wallpaper paste is removed---if the paint is shiny prime with an oil or shellac based primer.

Do not sand---lead paint--and not needed any way.

Use All purpose--the green lid---this is a setting compound and contains glue----

After the first coat or two you may wish to switch to 'light weight'---the blue lid--it's much easier to sand than the 'all purpose'---

If you need to do a lot of sanding--consider renting a power drywall sander.---Mike---

Old 07-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

DIY Skim coating

I'd like to put in an important step- after cleaning the adhesive off and before skimming- prime with Zinsser Gardz- It will prevent any glue residue from causing problems later, and will help adhesion to the plaster. Great stuff- solves many problems, easy to use.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brushjockey For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-28-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 10:53 PM   #4

DIY Skim coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Wash the walls to make sure that all old wallpaper paste is removed---if the paint is shiny prime with an oil or shellac based primer.

Use All purpose--the green lid---this is a setting compound and contains glue----

After the first coat or two you may wish to switch to 'light weight'---the blue lid--it's much easier to sand than the 'all purpose'---

If you need to do a lot of sanding--consider renting a power drywall sander.---Mike---
Thanks!
- So the mud goes straight on to the paint?
- What is the last grit sandpaper that I should use for finishing the surface?

By the way, the paint is a semi-gloss Latex (no lead in it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
I'd like to put in an important step- after cleaning the adhesive off and before skimming- prime with Zinsser Gardz- It will prevent any glue residue from causing problems later, and will help adhesion to the plaster. Great stuff- solves many problems, easy to use.
Ah! The tutorials on skim coating mentioned stuff for bonding. Except they called it PVA?

Not sure if I will be able to find the "Zinsser Gardz" in Canada but I will search.
Just in case, would you know any other similar stuff?

Thanks!
Majoram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:44 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

DIY Skim coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
You thought I might not be watching?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:47 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

DIY Skim coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majoram View Post
Thanks!
- So the mud goes straight on to the paint?
- What is the last grit sandpaper that I should use for finishing the surface?

By the way, the paint is a semi-gloss Latex (no lead in it).

Ah! The tutorials on skim coating mentioned stuff for bonding. Except they called it PVA?

Not sure if I will be able to find the "Zinsser Gardz" in Canada but I will search.
Just in case, would you know any other similar stuff?

Thanks!
Sherwin Williams sells similar stuff called "drywall conditioner" I think.If you have to order it ,this is actually the best ( better than Gardz, who stole the formula) Draw Tite

http://www.scotchpaint.com/drawtite.html
Old 07-29-2011, 04:49 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

DIY Skim coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post

At least you did not use the g word
Old 07-29-2011, 05:26 AM   #8
DIY staff

DIY Skim coating

Glue-----I hate it when they glue the wall paper!!!!
Old 07-29-2011, 06:12 AM   #9

DIY Skim coating

I would respectfully disagree with O'Mike about sanding. The first thing I do after the washing of paste residue has dried is sand. I use an eighty weight paper and sand all walls, by hand. This removes any rough areas, in addition to paper and adhesive bits, that interfere with getting a smooth spackle patch. Then I prime. After the primer has dried, I sand again, with 120 or so. As I sand with one hand, I am feeling the walls with the other. Many times your feel will find things your eye doesn't catch, like nail pops at the ceiling line on drywall. Also, I mark off everything that needs spackle with a pencil. Marking with the pencil creates a roadmap of where I need to spackle when I get there. I find the hand sand/feel and use of the pencil reduces my between coat spackle touch ups to practically zero. On ceilings, I attach a pencil to an extension pole and walk the room marking all ceiling defects. I tried to get this procedure established years ago when working for another guy. He rejected it saying it took too much time. Really? He did mostly all the wall prep, and I would watch him walk around, tray in hand, looking for things to fix. Our between coat fixes were numerous, and sometimes we had to repaint entire walls to repair stuff after the final coat, or leave a nail pop or such not repaired on the final coat. Some people are penny wise and pound foolish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:26 AM   #10
DIY staff

DIY Skim coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
I would respectfully disagree with O'Mike about sanding. .
J--I was off base on that---Just getting a bit carried away with the RRP crap.

I typically sand before starting,too.
jsheridan (07-29-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 01:02 PM   #11

DIY Skim coating

I was hoping for more info! I'm doing the same thing over mortar lathe and plaster that has water damage. Some of the lathe and plaster came off down to the structural brick (there's also brick veneer outside) I screwed on some metal lathe and put two scratch coats of structural plaster. I had to order the Diamond finish plaster which will match the existing 1932 hard polished. I sanded the areas where the wallpaper was and will prime with Zinsser then attempt to float the entire wall. I too watched the online skim coat videos and love the look of polished plaster. The attached pic is before the wallpaper was removed and before sanding. Wish me luck. And let me know if anyone has other any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Skim coating-p1020767.jpg  
warnerd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #12
paper hanger and painter

DIY Skim coating

Prime the whole mess with Gardz before you do anything, then have at it.You got a job ahead of you.
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
warnerd3 (08-09-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #13

DIY Skim coating

That wall is going to need at least one coat of Zinsser Cover Stain, probably two, one before repair one after. No latex product will block that stuff.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
ltd (08-09-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #14

Thumbs up

DIY Skim coating

I've purchased the Zinnser Bullseye 123 plus because of it's mildew inhibitor. The wallpaper was moldy and I had to bleach the wall after scraping it off. Let it sit a couple of days with a dehumidifier, then washed and sanded off high spots from lots of other previous repairs. Cleaned up the mess and spent the day today cooking Puerco Pibil and Korean Pork Bone soup. Way more fun.
Tomorrow I get back at it and finish the prep and paint a couple of ceilings while I wait for my finish plaster to get to the store. Not one Lowes or Depot carries finish stuff - they recommended I use drywall mud. That probably would have lasted a couple of weeks if I was lucky. If the arthritis in my hands holds out I'll have this place rented by the end of the month!!! Thanks for the suggestions !

FemmeDIYersRock
warnerd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #15
ltd

DIY Skim coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh mike View Post

i agree but just to be safe check for lead .you can get a test kit about 8 swabs for about 25 dollars at lowes or s/w it takes about 5 min to read directions and about 1 min to test you will know right on the spot

ltd is offline   Reply With Quote