Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #1

Share |

DIY or not

We have new sheetrock up and the compound tape job came out very nice. Next is the prime and paint. Well we got a few quotes in the range of 2-3k. To be honest money is a little tight and my wife suggested hirimg our friend who id handy and has done some painting before. She also said she thought the cutting in was were you need a good painter but since we will have crown mouldings/trim etc. that will really not be an issue. Do you think there will be a very noticable difference in the painting between a handy person who does decent painting and hiring a professional? May be we should hire someone to paint the trims as that might require some skill. Any advice, if we decide to have our friend do it, that will result in a better job....such as roller type, knap etc. thanks

Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #2

DIY or not

Why not just do it yourself? This weekend Sherwin williams has their 40% off sale for paints and stains. Go buy your PVA primer and all the paint you need buy it un it tinted and when you decide what color go back and have them tint it for you. Because you,pay for the tinting when you buy the paint.Save you money in the long run painting is a easy DIY project most people can do. I tend to not do it for that reason.

Nailbags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #3

DIY or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
Why not just do it yourself? This weekend Sherwin williams has their 40% off sale for paints and stains. Go buy your PVA primer and all the paint you need buy it un it tinted and when you decide what color go back and have them tint it for you. Because you,pay for the tinting when you buy the paint.Save you money in the long run painting is a easy DIY project most people can do. I tend to not do it for that reason.
We would love to DIY but just thought the quality would not be as good as....well a painter....
Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

DIY or not

Given the right painter- who would not only bring the skill, but the knowledge of what to use when and how- you would be right.
A mediocre painter would be just a step up..
Old 04-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #5

DIY or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Thanks Nailbags, makes me wonder what I spent 25 years of my life doing. I've got a word for you, but with the spotlight on this forum, I'll get banned.
Sorry you feel that way. in todays economy more people are doing things themselves. I know construction slowed to almost a crawl for the last few years. the small renovations and home improvements that had me booked out went to well we just will do it ourselves. unless it is a large job. Times are tight I know you have to feed your family. we all do, I just suggested to him to do his own painting. save a few green backs it is not hard to do it yourself. I know some new construction projects were I have given the GC or the owner names of great painters have said thanks but we do it in house or I'll do it myself. just the way things are headed now. with forums like this and other places you tube and stuff. were people can learn and do it themselves. it will be only a matter of time before the person doing residential painting will be a thing of the past. Sad to see but in my opinion it is heading that way. at least on the west coast.
Best wishes for you and I hope your work never slows down.
Nailbags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
Rubbin walls since'79

DIY or not

..and I am having the busiest spring in years...as a pro..

go figure.
Gymschu (04-18-2013), Sir MixAlot (04-17-2013), ToolSeeker (04-18-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
ltd

DIY or not

a good pro painter will know to prime ,caulk in crown and base, fill nail holes, sand, dust. that nice finish you say you have ,will see after you get primer on the walls. A painter can fix that with out a second thought. A pro can make that new crown and base look seamless .can roll a wall and have a uniform very slight soft stipple .If your handy man can do that ,well go for it .you know what ?Its not like the handy mans going to do it for free I just like that eek face
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #8

DIY or not

I personally wouldn't trust a painter to fill anything. I'd do the patching myself. A painter patched one of my walls like this several years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY or not-bad-plastering.jpg  
Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:11 AM   #9

DIY or not

As in any profession...

There are people who THINK they're good...
Others THINK they know everything, but are idiots.
Some think...."Paint is just paint. How hard can it be"!??!?!

I'm not a fan of PVA-class primers...ESPECIALLY cheap ones.
Zinsser123, Enamel-Undercoaters, C2-One...are very good drywall sealers.

Faron
Faron79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:45 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter

DIY or not

Hey, "anybody can paint"
DIY and or hire the "handyman", spend all the $ on paint, etc., look at the mess you all made and wind up hiring a real painter to do the job right and pay for more paint, etc.
Your choice.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:14 AM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

DIY or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
Do you think there will be a very noticable difference in the painting between a handy person who does decent painting and hiring a professional? May be we should hire someone to paint the trims as that might require some skill. Any advice, if we decide to have our friend do it, that will result in a better job....such as roller type, knap etc. thanks
I think there will be a big difference. And why risk a nice drywall and tape job?

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you are at least trying to compare apples to apples. The pro painters are probably quoting a sealer/primer and two coats of quality finish. Your handperson will do same right? Not just two coats of primer and paint in one box store crap?

And if you have to tell your friend what equipment to use? Not a good sign. Not sure how you came to the conclusion that crown molding saves you from having to cut-in either but homeowners have weird logic some of the time.

And is your friend insured so if he happens to kick over a can of paint on your new flooring you are covered? Your insurance probably will not cover such things. You have an umbrella liability policy to cover him falling from a ladder and breaking a hip right?

Not sure where on the West Coast the person suggesting pro painters are being squeezed out lives. My friends in the San Francisco Bay Area are all backlogged. I have other friends in Seattle having trouble finding a good painter in real time because all are busy for the coming months. Other friends in Portland waited three months to get the painter they wanted.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
ltd (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #12

DIY or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
And if you have to tell your friend what equipment to use? Not a good sign. Not sure how you came to the conclusion that crown molding saves you from having to cut-in either but homeowners have weird logic some of the time. And is your friend insured so if he happens to kick over a can of paint on your new flooring you are covered? Your insurance probably will not cover such things. You have an umbrella liability policy to cover him falling from a ladder and breaking a hip right?
From the OP, their friend has painted but isn't a professional painter. Not knowing the right type roller doesn't mean they don't know how to paint. There are different naps for different wall surfaces, not a big deal IMO. It took me a few rooms of painting to realize that I wasn't using the right roller on our plaster walls. Lessons learned.

I think the OP meant that because they are putting up crown and base, there won't be cutting in along the ceiling and flooring. This is a huge PITA for a DIYer and where a professional comes in handy.

Check out your homeowners insurance to find about about personal injury. In our area, if we have a friend that is injured doing work on our property, our insurance will cover them. Good point though about spilling paint or other damages.

If I were going to spend the money to get the job done, I'd go with a professional instead of a friend that has limited experience.
kimberland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #13

DIY or not

It's amazing that the people that say, "Painting is easy" or "a semi-literate chimp can paint", are the first people to call you when they find out that 3 bedrooms and a living room are taking 2 months of weekends to complete. How much money did they REALLY save? Not much when you consider the 8 days of their free time they had to devote to such an easy DIY project.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
Brushjockey (04-18-2013), jsheridan (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #14

DIY or not

---- now I feel stupid all these years learning how to hold a paint brush (and what kind of paint brush to hold). All the money for this equipment, learning how to tell good paint from bad paint, learning what primer to use in different situations. Figuring out what line of paint to use where. And here all along painting is EASY. Why didn't I figure this out before now.

Last edited by Gary in WA; 04-18-2013 at 11:44 PM. Reason: removed for PG13 rating
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #15

DIY or not

No way to know how that guy will paint. Some homeowners can paint better than some "professional" painters. You take your chances either way really, but obviously the chances are better that the pro will do the better job.

I agree that it's unfortunate for a homeowner to blow an entire weekend painting a single room, but if that's how they want to spend their time and save their money, I can understand the choice.

Why do you say cutting in isn't important because you have crown and trim?

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote