Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2009, 09:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

DIY Exterior of House Paint Job: Need Advice

Hello Everyone!

Well, I almost purchased Behr Paint today, but something compelled me to do a little research, and I came across these forums. I'm glad that I did! I used Behr for all of my interior paint, and it was really hit or miss.

I live in Central Florida, lots of sun, rain, humidity.

I am painting the exterior of my stucco/wood house. It hasn't been painted since it was built 13 years ago, and it shows. The base of the house is stucco, and the top is wood. I just pressure washed my house today.

I've seen lots of recommendations for Sherwin Williams (Duration) and Benjamin Moore (Aura) paints. However these are just too expensive for me. I was hoping to keep the paint @ $30-$40 per gallon. I've also seen recommendations for SuperPaint, which would fall within this range.

What about Benjamin Moore's lineup: Particularly Moorgard, and Moorlife?
These are in the $30 range, but I haven't heard a lot about them. Are they considered a good Benjamin Moore paint and somewhat equal to Sherwin Williams SuperPaint? If not, what are some recommendations for $30-40 per gallon paint?

Also, do I need to prime the stucco? what kind of primer should I use? Should I stick with the same brand for primer as paint for tinting purposes?

Thank you in advance!

jamesp880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

probably either one of those paints will be good as long as the old paint is intact, i would guess you dont have to prime but if you have bare areas it might not be a bad idea ,should have this info on the can label good luck

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:26 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,092

Do you have a Duron store near you? Their Weather Shield is good.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:41 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

I guess you need to decide what quality of paint you want and how you want your house to look in ten years. The more you pay, the better the quality of paint you get. Price and quality in regard to paint go hand in hand. Ben Moore and Sherwin are excellent brands. I would never purchase a True Value brand or pay $25 for an exterior paint and think I was buying a good exterior paint. Anything under $30 isn't a quality paint.

Josh Jaros
jaros bros. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros bros. View Post
I guess you need to decide what quality of paint you want and how you want your house to look in ten years. The more you pay, the better the quality of paint you get. Price and quality in regard to paint go hand in hand. Ben Moore and Sherwin are excellent brands. I would never purchase a True Value brand or pay $25 for an exterior paint and think I was buying a good exterior paint. Anything under $30 isn't a quality paint.

Josh Jaros
I'm definitely going to go with SW or BM, I'm just having a hard time determining which particular paint to go with. The top of the line paints from SW (Duration) and BM (Aura) are too expensive, so I was inquiring about other paints in their respective portfolios. What would be the next step down that would represent a good paint at a more reasonable price?

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Your location leads me to another suggestion

I'd strongly recommend a regional brand local to you called Flex-Bon made specifically for your application and climate
Their products work very well in your type of climate (semi-tropical) and your type of housing
(stucco/wood mix)

Though the BM/SW companies have excellent products, they are meant to be used all across North America, and are formulated as such
(nothing wrong with that but...)

Flex-Bon has no desire to become a national brand so to speak
They are local to Florida and make their coatings specifically for Florida's conditions

Although I'd never use them up here in New England (not quite semi-tropical up here), they are definitely my first choice when painting exteriors in Florida
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
Your location leads me to another suggestion

I'd strongly recommend a regional brand local to you called Flex-Bon made specifically for your application and climate
Their products work very well in your type of climate (semi-tropical) and your type of housing
(stucco/wood mix)

Though the BM/SW companies have excellent products, they are meant to be used all across North America, and are formulated as such
(nothing wrong with that but...)

Flex-Bon has no desire to become a national brand so to speak
They are local to Florida and make their coatings specifically for Florida's conditions

Although I'd never use them up here in New England (not quite semi-tropical up here), they are definitely my first choice when painting exteriors in Florida

Thanks for the tip slickshift. I definitely experience a tropical environment. I checked into the company...Unfortunately there are not any dealers within a couple hours of me. Do you have any other recommendations other than Aura and Duration? Is the Moorgard, gloss line good for what I need?