Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #1

Share |

Disposable Glove Recs? Fed Up w/Home Depot Cheap Shredders!

Iím deeply dissatisfied with the disposable gloves Iíve been buying and am looking for recommendations for a more durable product.

Currently, Iím using the disposable blue nitrile gloves from Home Depot that come in a box of 100 (for like $10 or $14, canít remember) and are also sold in smaller quantities. I use this glove type primarily while painting with both oil and water base products and while handling petroleum base solvents and products that incorporate them. The problem with these gloves is that they tear, rip, and shred just by looking sideways at them. They often rip or tear when merely putting them on! I have large size hands (but thin fingers, not thick sausage fingers) and fit isnít at issue. They are just too cheap and the mil thickness is too thin for a disposable glove that meets my needs. I end up going through way too many gloves in a day and they rip just when I need them to protect my hands. They are a complete waste of money.

Some background and past experiences:
I used to buy powdered latex gloves in boxes of 100 quantity for oil painting (artwork), wood finishing, and general solvent handling from a hardware store on Canal St. in NYC Öbut they went out of business some time ago. I wouldnít buy the cheapest latex gloves (too thin!) but a step up in thickness s that was more durable (still about only $10-$12 per 100, IIRC). When making paintings Iíd take breaks often as needed and I would remove the gloves (often now wet inside with perspiration), but by keeping a container of baby powder on my palette, when I resumed painting Iíd shoot some baby powder into the glove to recharge it so my hand would insert easier. In this manner these latex gloves would endure several cycles of wearing/removal before developing the first small tears.

These nitrile gloves from Home Depot feel and wear like tissue paper.

I have an account with Grainger so I went there but they didnít have any but the cheapest economy (thin mil) nitrile gloves stocked, although they do sell a large selection of gloves, which one needs to place an order for. So I left empty handedÖand despondent Ö and yes, bought a small pack of the crap nitrile gloves from Home Depot (I had to stop there anyway). This is the last time I spend my money on these HD gloves. I have no problem ordering a better grade, but need some input.

I like disposable gloves (especially when doing artwork as it gives me great feel for the brushes) rather than the really thick non-disposable gloves, but I need something more durable and thicker than these cheap Home Depot nitrile gloves.

What are you guys using?
Please point me to an affordable reasonably priced product.

PS: what is the main difference between nitrile and latex for use with solvents?

Thanks so much!!!
Lovegasoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:02 PM   #2

I really (really!) like the nitrile dipped gloves that they sell at Lowes. HD sells some as well but they only sell a large and I've got big paws and they aren't very comfortable to wear. I have actually bought 3 or 4 pairs now and use one for stripping and the others for general work around the house. I have the lighter weight gloves from SW that are also pretty nice that I've been using for painting and priming.

http://www.ammex.com/prodpg.php?prod=90 (not the lowes gloves but similar)

I personally wouldn't have an issue painting with those gloves on but I know that is a personal preference. the gloves from SW are lighter weight than the lowes variety. the only thing to watch out for with these gloves is they don't have a coating on the back - if you get solvents on the back it can burn your skin but the cloth provides enough time generally to wipe it off (at least with gel paint strippers)

if you want disposable gloves you might try some medical supply places. the paramedic rated nitrile gloves are a little heavier grade rubber than the ones you are buying.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Choose-the...You&id=1416712

nitrile is a little more durable than latex. both are generally ok for solvents but there are plenty of charts with glove suitability (latex vs nitrile vs vinyl)
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #3

check a medical supply house.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:49 PM   #4

Harbor Freight has all sorts of gloves. I've had luck with some, others were just as good as your typical home depot glove. They have some decent prices so you might find a good glove there.
HandyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:11 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately no Harbor Freight near me.

Cello, those coated gloves you referenced are too thick for my needs. I do have a heavy pair used for stripping. But I need disposable gloves for house type painting and for art/canvas painting...so they need to be thin allowing nuanced feel/dexterity, but not so cheaply made as the HD variety.
Lovegasoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovegasoline View Post
Unfortunately no Harbor Freight near me.
Me neither, but I order online or through the catalog over the phone. www.harborfreight.com
HandyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Find an online scientific or chemical supply house.

I am not sure you are going to find what you are looking for. Gloves are gloves after a point. Any time you trade off dexterity for thickness they are going to break no matter who sells them.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Find an online scientific or chemical supply house.

I am not sure you are going to find what you are looking for. Gloves are gloves after a point. Any time you trade off dexterity for thickness they are going to break no matter who sells them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovegasoline View Post
Cello, those coated gloves you referenced are too thick for my needs. I do have a heavy pair used for stripping. But I need disposable gloves for house type painting and for art/canvas painting...so they need to be thin allowing nuanced feel/dexterity, but not so cheaply made as the HD variety.
I think your best bet will be a medical supply place or as sdsester mentioned a scientific supply house. I used to use medical exam gloves for painting and using other messy mediums that I didn't want to smear or get skin oils on and they worked out fine for me. I bought my gloves at the campus bookstore in a box of like 100 pairs at the time. they should be heavier than the HD variety but not so heavy that you loose dexterity.

good luck on your search!
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #9

I usually get a cotton glove first and on the cotton I might get a vinyl on top. Besides the advantage of tear proof It's much more comfortable. I usually get them at http://theglovery.weebly.com/
Good Luck!
roseh202 is offline   Reply With Quote