DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Discolored Ceiling Vent Covers

23K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  user1007 
#1 ·
How to restore the plastic covers over the bathroom exhaust fans,

#9 · (Edited)
I started using Krylon Fusion or the Rustoleum spray product made for painting plastic. Rustoleum (and maybe Krylon too know) makes a plastic primer you can cover with anything. Fusion comes in a rainbow colors making it nice if you are painting a darker color and do not want stark white vent covers, switch plates, etc.

#10 ·
Sdsester, thanks for turning on the light bulb. I've used Fusion before but never thought to use it for that purpose, not that I'm doing them by the dozens. But, I can save the primer coat and eliminate a step. Do you know if it bonds to baked enamel metal vents without prep or primer? The blue ceiling fan on my blog is painted with Fusion, but only for the color, not to bond to plastic. Thanks.

#12 · (Edited)
Do you know if it bonds to baked enamel metal vents without prep or primer? The blue ceiling fan on my blog is painted with Fusion, but only for the color, not to bond to plastic. Thanks.
Krylon says so but if you have a lot of them, Fusion is a bit pricey. I would get something cheaper in a regular spray can for them---Krylon, Rustoleum or whatever. And I guess if you want to be a purist you should take some steel wool to the enameled metal things, scruff the surface a bit and at least spot prime any bare spots of course---especially in a wet area like a bathroom.

Do try Fusion or the Rustoleum plastic paint or primer on switch plates, outlet covers and so forth. Or you could just shake your head because the painter before you didn't take a few extra minutes to remove them and just rolled over them. Still makes my blood boil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.