Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #1

Share |

Dirty Kitchen Cabinets

I am getting ready to revamp my kitchen, but I need to degrease the cabinets first. I have tried Clorox CleanUp, CLR and Goof Off and as you can see from the pictures that I posted, nothing has worked. These are original cabinets to the house (1969) and I don't think the woman ever cleaned. What you see is already hours of work.

As you can see, the bottom half of the cabinets are significantly darker than the top - crud. You can actually feel and see the buildup.

There is practically no finish left on the doors, but I don't think that a stripper (which would take the crud off) will be necessary - I was only going to sand and prime.

I need some suggestions, I will try anything at this point.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Dirty Kitchen Cabinets-imag0616.jpg   Dirty Kitchen Cabinets-imag0617.jpg  

Last edited by Jdiehm; 10-16-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Jdiehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Dirty Kitchen Cabinets

Sometimes I have resorted to mineral spirits first on badly greased up and neglected kitchens. Then I have followed with a strong detergent.

I have also used Purple Power from the auto parts store or Simple Green. In both cases a large car wash sponge comes in handy.

TSP from the paint store should clean them up nicely too. Make sure to rinse and neutralize whatever you use.

Always use according to label directions. Don't assume a more concentrated form of mix will achieve anything more than mixing properly. Over use of phosphates can harm the environment. Try not to over wet the cabinetry.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

Dirty Kitchen Cabinets

Other good choices are Dirtex or Soilex powders. Neither needs to be rinsed like TSP.
I have not found TSP to be a great cleaner- degreaser- but it will etch the finish to prepare for painting. For that I use a TSP substitute that also does not need rinsing.