DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Different paint type for outdoor house wood paneling?

6K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  slickshift 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Is there a specific type of paint recommended for outdoor house wood paneling? or will any outdoor paint be ok?.

#10 ·
No I did not say it is not used outside. I said it is not a component of exterior paint products, but can be added if you want it. It is a chemical to prevent mildew growth on the paint surface. It "floats" in the paint film and continues to migrate to the surface to kill mildew. Once it is expended, you need to repaint for the continued protection. Not normally needed outside since the wind provides ventilation. But in small areas where no sun hits the siding and wind is blocked it will help to have it added to your paint by the supplier. In paints specified as "bathroom paint" Like Zinsser's Perma White this additive is part of the paint.

#11 ·
Unfortunately (or fortunately as it were), the blanket statement "exterior coatings do not contain mildecides" is inaccurate

Most (if not all...I haven't checked them all) premium exterior coatings do in fact have them

This is the main (if not sole) reason for never, ever, using exterior coatings inside
As they "off-gas", or more accurately the mildecides "come to the surface" over a period of time after application

That doesn't mean that particular projects don't need a little extra "oomph"
(I live and work out in the North Atlantic, just about any project could use a little help with the additive(s) mentioned)
-Just that the statement is not quite accurate
(sorry Bob..in all my dealings with manu/reps and TSBs and MDSs all have stated the exterior products have mildecides of some sort)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.