Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #1

Share |

Different colors- taping

Hi there everyone,

I am very new at painting and I have this new house where the family room has never been painted. I donít know what exactly is on the wall now I would guess itís a white primer. This room also has a large cut out areas between the family room and the adjacent room and I have decided to paint it different colors. I am also painting the TV area which is a recessed area a darker color blue. I am using blue tape to separate the two colors between the rounded corners. When I remove the tape the paint is peeling off, peeling back, and even the white that was under the paint color is peeling back too. Some areas where I have removed the tape there is bleeding of color and the line is not straight. I donít know if I need to use primer first, and then use the paint color? Not sure what would be a way to make it a clean line? I have used Sherwin Williams in one area and Valspar paint, but it happens with both paints.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions

mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:51 AM   #2

Different colors- taping

I run in to this same problem, I don't know what the pro's do for this. The paint peels off with the tape I'm supposeing because although its "dry", it hasn't hardened up yet. On the cans it says to wait 30 days to wash. I figure you can either wait a long time before painting the other color or what I end up doing is free hand it in. Putting the tape is no guarantee that the line is straight. I'm doing some offices at work now, I tape the first wall, paint, remove tape and free hand the second color in, I don't have the neccesary waiting time for it to harden up. When we DIY we have to understand what is acceptable to ourselves and live with it or hire the pros.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:57 AM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Different colors- taping

the paint comes off because the last paint job was not prepped or primed and or was a cheap big box store paint. (like Valspar or Behr) With paints you get what you pay for all the time. The better paints cost more because the use better binders in their paint. Use a pole sander to scuff up the wall lightly. Clean with water and TSP. Prime with Zinsser sealer/primer or similiar. Use the green fog tape for a non-bleed through line. Buy C2 paint if it is available in your area or SW or BM.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Different colors- taping

Do not use tape to cut lines
Use quality tools, quality products, and a steady hand
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
Git er dun

Different colors- taping

the pros use quality brushes and a steady hand as slickshift mentioned. there is also a green "frog tape" on the market, which i haven't used myself but may be worth a try http://www.frogtape.com/FTST/index.html
todolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:20 PM   #6

Different colors- taping

Well the steady hand method is just terriffic

IF

you have a steady hand.

What are the rest of us DIY'ers (after all this is not intended to be a PRO forum) to do? I paint once a year, at most, if I can help it, therefore I have not developed the skills necessary to freehand a laser straight line (despite a fair amount of time doing mainataince painting for a living, 'bout a decade ago).

I for one use tape to accomplish this. My experience indicates luck is a big factor in wether the tape peels back or not. Or at least I've never figured out what the secret really is.

I do have a question though - how soon after painting do you think it is safe to tape a section off??

Also does anything think it's smarter to put the darker color down first and cover with the lighter color or vise versa?
Garasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:07 AM   #7
Remodeling Contractor

Different colors- taping

I would wait 24 hours to tape over new paint, but this is a guess, since different paints dry and cure at different rates and temp and humidity are factors. Paint light colors first

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote