Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2007, 04:14 PM   #1

Share |

Difference in S-W paints ???

I am trying to figure out the different lines of paint from Sherwin-Williams.

I understand that Duration is there top of the line, "The ultimate" Pricey and not the easiest to roll on.

Next in line is the SuperPaint, "best-selling & Covers well"

Question; where does the ProMar 200 come into play? Is this the same paint just in a different can with a "Professional Label" on it?

Do most Pro's and Homeowners go with the SuperPaint Line?

Portersold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 04:26 PM   #2

sorry I can't help you more, but I used their superpaint on a door I just finished (if you search my username for posts, there's pics in the thread '6 panel door', I think that's where I posted them). I used a satin red and thought it was a great paint. I'm new to this though so for long term I can't comment.

joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:04 AM   #3

ProMar 200 is the best paint in one of their "Contractor" lines, and I would say it is probably roughly equivalent to Classic99 in quality (Classic99 is one step down from SuperPaint in their consumer line), although they are not identical paints. I think most folks here would recommend using SuperPaint or Duration. That said, if you are on a tight budget, ProMar 200 is not a bad paint. Certainly a better choice than Behr/AmTrad...

SirWired

Last edited by sirwired; 10-01-2007 at 09:09 AM.
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:21 PM   #4

so even the lowest of the S&W offerings is better than the highest of the Behr offerings? (I was at home depot the other day and noticed there's a higher level behr now, a 'premium plus'. I saw something about 'nanotechnology' or 'nanoprotection'... I don't know a ton about paint, but I know a lot about advertising to people with words they wouldn't be able to understand hwo they relate to the product tho!)
Old 10-01-2007, 12:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyboy View Post
so even the lowest of the S&W offerings is better than the highest of the Behr offerings? (I was at home depot the other day and noticed there's a higher level behr now, a 'premium plus'. I saw something about 'nanotechnology' or 'nanoprotection'... I don't know a ton about paint, but I know a lot about advertising to people with words they wouldn't be able to understand hwo they relate to the product tho!)
I'm not sure I'd go that far... if you got some SW ProMar 700 or SW StylePerfect and tried to paint your whole house with it, you probably would be very disappointed. Such paints are meant for things like garages, laundry rooms, low-end apartment repaints, etc. All paint companies make cheap lousy paint if you buy from the bottom end of their product lines.

However, you'd find almost unanimous agreement here that a $30 paint from SW or BM would leave a $30 HD or Lowes paint in the dust.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:07 PM   #6

okay I'm starting to understand more.... It's basically that behr's top line stuff isn't junk, it's just that it's 'ok', yet it's priced waaay too high, right?
Old 10-02-2007, 07:00 PM   #7

Its really all based on what you value. For the most part the Behr looks fine in the end, you'll just have a harder time putting it on that a BM or an SW. BM and SW spend their entire days making paints. Behr is made by a company called Masco, which does a whole bunch of stuff, so their focus may not be on that all the time.
DIYHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:05 PM   #8

what do you mean by 'harder time putting it on'? I've used SW superpaint and the cheapest of cheap white matte interior for my bedroom, both seemed to apply just as easily.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyboy View Post
what do you mean by 'harder time putting it on'? I've used SW superpaint and the cheapest of cheap white matte interior for my bedroom, both seemed to apply just as easily.
You'd really have to get specific here, but stuff like, how many times did you have to dip into the tray. When you loaded the roller, how far did the paint go, two stripes, one? If it went very far, did you have hide problems? When you rolled it out, did it spatter so you had to spend a lot of time wiping up the floor from spatter marks. Did it feel really sticky when you brushed it out, ultimately creating more friction and thus took more of a toll on your arm. Did you have to do 3 coats instead of two.

Those are comments you'll typically find with a Behr that you wouldn't get with a BM or a SW.
DIYHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:11 AM   #10

I see!
Old 10-03-2007, 08:31 PM   #11
remodeling pro

I think you will be well satisfied with the pro mar 200. It is a good paint at a reasonable price. There is certainly no harm in going up a grade, but I have never felt that the very top of the line paints from either SW or Benjamin Moore were that much better to justify their price. One thing for sure...stay away from the paints at both of the major big boxes, the $5 you save will never be worth the $20 of pain you cause yourself with this stuff.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:48 PM   #12

I agree, you get what you pay for in paint.

I make my living building sets and props for commercial photography studios. So I paint a lot of colors on big walls and never have to deal with ceilings. The work is never up for longer than a few days so high priced paint is not needed.

I started this post to learn more, because I will begin soon to paint my house and wanted to make sure I was using the best I can, and not the lower priced stuff I do at work.

I have to know a little and sometimes a lot about everything from building to painting to sculpting to carving to designing to well, you get it..... etc....

Although I don't make my living as a pro house painter as many of you, I do lay down my fair share of color.
Portersold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:49 PM   #13

Most quality professional painters in my area use ProMar 200.
Barry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:00 PM   #14

Every couple of weeks Sherwin Williams usually puts Super Paint on sale. It's a great product and I would recommend it.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote