Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2008, 07:39 AM   #1

Share |

Desperate for Pro Advice Regarding Contracted Painter

We are building our 1st house. We hired a painter to paint the exterior of our brand new house; he was referred to us by his old employer who is also a painter.
This [so-called] painter has screwed up on so many levels: the paint is orange peeling, cracking, some sagging, checking, peeling, pinholes, popping, and blistering (just to name a few of the problems) all over the house and garage! Not to mention that I keep finding areas that have not been caulked and nails with no putty that are starting to show a rusty color from under the paint!

At first we thought that the pinholes were caused by either over-spray or from the pigments in the paint. So my husband contacted and had a Porter Paint Rep come out and look at it. He said that it wasn't pigment at all, that it was air bubbles (called pinholes) escaping from under the paint. Then he pointed out more problems caused by the shotty work of the painter.
We can not afford another $3200 to pay a painter and buy more paint.

We've been living in a mobile home (in a bad part of town) for 10 years just to be able to save money to build a house. As a 1st time home owner I'm desperate for help/advice as I don't know where to turn to find out if these problems can be fixed and or how he can fix them.
He's already asking for final payment (which my husband is talking of paying), clearly I don't think he deserves another dime. Plus he's used up all $1300.00 worth of (Porter®) paint that we paid for.

I would certainly appreciate any advice pertinent to what we should do and if there is any kind of recourse available to us.

Thanks so much in advance!!

Last edited by dicroic101; 01-07-2008 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Additional information
dicroic101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:50 AM   #2

The exterior of the house is hardy board and the trim is the new PVC (wood grain texture) trim/molding. We had the primer tinted the same color as the as the base color of the house.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:15 PM   #3
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Your recourse will be determined by exactly what your contract says, and local laws and regulations regarding contracting in your area

As a contractor myself, I hesitate to suggest withholding the final payment, as I can't see from here if it's truly a shoddy, sub-standard job
But it does sound like it is below industry standards, even for new construction
I'd consider withholding final payment until you can go over some of these paint failure/problem issues, and the substandard work
You two may not work it out, but you certainly won't get anything done if you simply pay him

Unless other-wise stated in the contract, you do not have to pay him the final payment until the contract is fullfilled

Again, you'll want to refer to your contract for any specifics you want to address with this contractor
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:23 PM   #4
Pro Painter

There are circumstances that come into play.

Hardiplank instructions calls for galvanized or steel nails. That's not the painters department. It would have been nice if he could have pointed it out, though.

Did he bid on one coat? Did he specify caulk and where it would be?
If you have legitimate issues that are part of the contract, then hold him responsible.
If the job was done with one coat, maybe you could ask him to fix cosmetic issues (including priming nail stains) and apply another coat. Hardiboard has some cement like characteristics and pinholing is one of them. It also needs to be primed.
Here's a link to help you along.
http://www.ilevel.com/literature/t_jamesHardie.pdf
I hope you get it worked out, please let us know what happened.

Last edited by joewho; 01-07-2008 at 08:31 PM.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:51 AM   #5

Thank you all for your replies... the link to the hardy board info was especially helpful... I appreciate it very much!

The end result was that my husband and the painter walked around the house [again] - this time with painter tape. My husband marked the glaring spots he wanted fixed; the house is done and the painter has been paid.

As for me, I've stayed out of it since day 1, so I've decided to just pretend I don't notice it As long as I don't stand to close to the house - out of sight - out of mind.
It'll be painted again some day.

Thanks again!
T.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:57 PM   #6
Pro Painter

Thank you for letting us know how it worked out.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:40 PM   #7
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Yes, thank you for the update

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote