Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #1

Share |

Decorating a basement flat

Hi, I live in a basement flat in a Victorian house (UK). Not the entire flat is at subzero level but a few walls are either directly in contact with the ground on the outside (i.e. there are no drenches) or are pillars of the whole building hence the level of moisture/humidity in the walls is very high (although there's no damp anymore).

I think it's this combination of moist walls and fluctuating temperatures that has caused the wall paint to peel in places....

I am planning to redecorate the flat myself but as a complete DIY virgin I need to ask your expert advice first.....

Do I need to prime the walls? Ideally would that be all of the walls in the affected room? What primer do I use - latex or oil? Which one will go with Dulux paints? What do I do after? Do I still need basecoat? The walls are not in a particularly great shape - they will need some filling/plastering in places as well, same with the ceiling hence I thought of using Polycell Smoothover on the ceiling and walls. There are a few stains from a leak last year which would need to be covered so I am a little worried there might be a build-up of products which won't bond or something especially that the walls are cold and moist like I mentioned before. What is the whole process I'd need to go through? I want the walls and ceiling perfectly smooth so happy to put in hard work but don't know where to start with this...

Also, will I need an electric sander to sand the walls down? To be honest I would much rather not have to sand by hand (seems too tedious!) so if an electric sander was an option what do I need to know before getting one? Would a wall sander double up as a wood sander? I.e. I am looking to sand windows and doors at a later stage.....

And the edges of the walls are quite weathered - how would I bring their sharpness back again?

MANY MANY thanks for your help peeps.......
gabriella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:34 PM   #2

Ok, use a palm sander to lightly feather out the walls and get all the flaking off. then use a damp rag to get all the residue off. then use either coverstain oil primer or kilz original oil primer. apply one coat. then patch walls as needed with a lightweight spackle. then next day use an eggshell or satin sheen acrylic top coat. DO NOT USE FLAT, as it's not moisture resistant or water proof.
hammerheart14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:43 AM   #3

Thank you hammerheart14.

Why wouldn’t you use water or latex primer??

When you say eggshell or satin sheen acrylic top coat do you mean I shouldn’t be using a regular water based paint?

What if I used a kitchen paint? (Though I’ve just looked at an old tin and my kitchen paint is also water-based….)

If I used eggshell or an acrylic coat would I still be able to cover that with a regular flat paint?
gabriella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriella View Post
Thank you hammerheart14.

Why wouldn’t you use water or latex primer??

When you say eggshell or satin sheen acrylic top coat do you mean I shouldn’t be using a regular water based paint?

What if I used a kitchen paint? (Though I’ve just looked at an old tin and my kitchen paint is also water-based….)

If I used eggshell or an acrylic coat would I still be able to cover that with a regular flat paint?
what are the walls made of again?

an oil primer will seal the stains back better than a water based primer. acrylic is a form of water based paint. kitchen paint is an acrylic enamel.just use ANYTHING with a sheen. eggshell, satin, semi gloss. doesn't matter. flat is not moisture resistant.
hammerheart14 is offline   Reply With Quote