Decking Needs Something.. - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 256

Decking Needs Something..

Last year I stained and Thomson Water Sealed my decking.

this year it looks like the picture I've attached.

Any advice? I am thinking sand it all down and start over? If so, what grit should I start with? Some of the wood will probably need to be replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
Decking Needs Something..-100_1075.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 680

That decking looks like it's in pretty bad shape.
Yes it should have been sanded down to bare wood.
Never ever use any Thomson product!!
It comes in last almost everytime according to comsumers digest.
I'd suggest not using a solid stain on the decking. Fine on the rails just not the decking.
That decks so rough I'd start with 80 grit and see how it looks.
I use Cabots or Olympic.

Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

I think those screw heads are going to give you some trouble when you go to sand it, should have been counter-sunk a bit. It seems to me that a drum sander would be the way to go on this. The old type that they used to refinish floors.

Years ago I used a product called Moore-Wood by Benjamin Moore that was fantastic. It was a penetrating stain. I think the product line was bought out by Olympic, as recommended by Joe. Maybe your Olympic guy will know. The painters should be able to help you so I would post this over there.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Do I have this right?: you applied a semi-soild or solid wood stain to your deck, then applied an oil-based, mineral spirits-containing waterproofing sealer (Thompson's) on top of that?

IF I have this right, then it's small wonder your deck turned out like that. You applied a solvent (the Thompsons) right onto a latex-based stain.

The solvent ate up the resin in the stain.

You either stain a deck - or don't stain it but waterprooof it. I don't think you should do both...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

A drum sander will just chew that up in seconds. I would think about a belt sander or to be really safe use an orbital with no more coarse paper than 80 grit. It is hard to see what shape the boards are in but they do not look badly checked in the picture. Sometimes you can flip them to gain a few more years.

I agree it will save you some hassles if you go along and countersink the deck screws.

Thompson's Water Seal is a wax based product so you may have to strip remnants of it before trying to sand or you will just gum up your paper.

Once you have the deck sanded, I would think about a semi-transparent stain if the wood is fairly even or a semi-solid if there is a lot of color variation. I do not think solid stains a good idea for decks. Up to you if you want to use a waterbased or solvent based product but you do not want to mix coats of the two.

Olympic used to be my go to brand years ago but I would not touch it since it went box store. I do not know if Cabot box store products are the same as the ones I used with success but I doubt it. Sikkens has performed well for me. Read other threads on this topic for other recommendations.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote