||09-07-2010 01:05 PM
Yet another, Deck Staining thread
Live in the North East on a lake had a cedar deck built 3 years ago and I cant get it right.
- Six weeks ago i had my cedar deck oiled with PENOFIN Red Label Ultra clear. This was the second time in ten months that we had the deck stained. Power sprayer and back brished application. Hired a "pro"
- 2 weeks ago the deck was attacked by what looked like mold.
- PENOFIN corporate office said it was from tannins and possible oil that was on the surface and was not wiped off.
- Cleaned the deck with BEHR, mistake number 1, deck cleaner.
- Then used a bleach solution on top of the BEHR deck cleaner.
- Deck looks worse then before I touched it.
Now what do I do?
- Is PENOFIN that right product? Would any other product allowed the wood to turn in such a short amount of time? Six weeks, UGH!
- Can I let this go to the spring. Assuming the deck is going to need a tune up after a long winter.
- What should be my expectation using PENOFIN in the North East? Do I need to apply the oil every 10 months or so and use a deck cleaner to maintane the deck.
- What is the best deck cleaner out there for cedar?
- Do I power wash the deck?
Thank you for any advice. This has been an expensive frustrating process.