Deck Staining In Michigan - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Deck Staining in Michigan

If you go with a solid color stain or a restore type product do you need to re-paint less often?

I am not to concerned about the wood look I am just looking for something that will give me a good 5+ year wear considering the Michigan weather.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement

heythereterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

The forestry department did an extensive study on deck stain products and found the average life of all deck stains to be about 3 years. Obviously with any averaging one assumes there is a highend to to spectrum and poor performers. Behr stain of any kind is getting blasted for lasting only a year for example.

I counseled clients buying good products to expect 3-5 years on nicely prepped decks. Some got more, some got less. Of course their are so many factors just starting with weather that effect a deck and the life you get out of products you put on it.

Now then, I happen to think the more pigment you leave on the surface of the deck, the faster it has to erode and look crappy if not fail all together. I think if you decide to go with semi-solids or solid stains you are better off with latex acrylic products than oil-based. I think for no reason than I grew up with them, oil based products are still better for penetrating semi-transparents.

And I will mention again a growing trend to incorporate outdoor area rugs into your deck plans. They come in all kinds of shapes, colors, textures, patterns to even mimmick nice rugs you have, I hope, to protect your interior floors. They clean up nice and when done with them---into the dumpster. I don't know if anybody has studied how much longer a deck finish would last under one but I should think at least a year or so more? I suppose if the deck could only breathe one side having rugs could actually speed up decay.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 06-03-2013 at 12:11 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
heythereterry (06-03-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 296

Stain products in certain climates (freeze/thaw) are the best bet for deck surfaces, but they still need maintenance. The interval may be every 2-3 years, as stated.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,548

A "Restore type product" is way different than stain, and not normal paint even. That's just a whole 'nother can 'o worms. It's a fairly new product so I haven't heard much about years-long reviews.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc
A "Restore type product" is way different than stain, and not normal paint even. That's just a whole 'nother can 'o worms. It's a fairly new product so I haven't heard much about years-long reviews.
Seems like a good product and would give me at least a good 10 years before I needed to re-apply.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
This stuff seems awesome. A colleague of mine used it last week and made me a sample. The sample in on new pressure treated, so it doesn't demonstrate its function of evening out old/ cracked decks.
It's real thick and tough looking. Haven't tried it myself either. If it would stay bonded, looks like it would last a long time. Like any film though, if it lost bond it would surely peel.

This is the lowes version. My BM caries a version by ' Super Deck
Attached Thumbnails
Deck Staining in Michigan-image-3232150107.jpg   Deck Staining in Michigan-image-2376864354.jpg  
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
heythereterry (06-05-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 12:17 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,548

I've searched the web and found "love it" and "hate it" stories, so I'm a little apprehensive. One thing everyone agrees on is that it gets quite hot, when it's hot out and the sun is shining. No bare feet in that situation for sure.

I mentioned it to a customer, and they looked into it and want me to do it. I'll let you know what my experience is in a few weeks.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:24 AM   #8

Quote:
I've searched the web and found "love it" and "hate it" stories, so I'm a little apprehensive. One thing everyone agrees on is that it gets quite hot, when it's hot out and the sun is shining. No bare feet in that situation for sure.

I mentioned it to a customer, and they looked into it and want me to do it. I'll let you know what my experience is in a few weeks.
Regarding getting hot I think I will use a light color as dark colors seem to get hot. Thanks for the heads up because I was thinking of using a darker color.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Restore is a Rustoleum company as I remember and from some experience I find of all companies they are pretty good about not overstating what a product will and will not do. As I understand the product it is mainly for badly damaged decks and not for a stain replacement but I could be wrong.

There was a recent post about it on this site and I do not remember the details but the poster was not pleased with it after a season or two and was having a terrible time getting it off. I believe it is a thick resin product. I know you have to put down two coats for sure. I don't remember if he did or or if he prepped properly. I honestly do not remember why is was displeased.

If it is an epoxy or something I should think it would be more prone to cracking and coming off in chunks rather than peeling like a paint film.

Of course prep is going to be important so follow those steps carefully. I really hate to see you set your sights on a 10 year deck product because I don't think you are going to get it. I hope I am wrong. I would still plan on 3-5.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 06-05-2013 at 07:06 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote