Deck Staining With On Combination Of Old And New Boards. - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Deck staining with on combination of old and new boards.

Our deck needed a lot of repair. We were able to save money by only replacing the rotted boards. Unfortunately, it left the deck in a two-tone state with brand new boards and very weathered, mildewed boards. My husband used a deck cleaner and scrubbed down the entire deck. It took away the mold and mildew and lightened up the gray, weathered wood to a beige/gray state. We are now trying to figure out how to stain the wood so that it matches. My first choice would be to have natural wood protected by a water seal, but we will have to use a stain due to the different color wood. A transparent stain will show the extreme variances in the wood. I don't know if a semi-transparent stain would look okay, and I am not a fan of painted decks. Our house is a taupe/light tan with green shutters. Any ideas? Thank you.

Advertisement

vldoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 680

Big mistake to try and stain new pressure treated wood, It needs to dry out first.
Seal it to soon and the stain can not be soaked in and it will seal in the moisture.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,296

About the only way you can hope to even out the color is to apply a SOLID color deck stain. It's not the ultimate solution, but if you want all boards to look the same that's about the only option you have. There are solid stains that work fairly well for decks........I have used Deckscapes from Sherwin Williams with some success. The rule of thumb is to use SEMI-transparent stain for decks but in your case that's not going to work.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Big mistake to try and stain new pressure treated wood, It needs to dry out first.
Seal it to soon and the stain can not be soaked in and it will seal in the moisture.
OP did not state dealing with PT.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
About the only way you can hope to even out the color is to apply a SOLID color deck stain. It's not the ultimate solution, but if you want all boards to look the same that's about the only option you have. There are solid stains that work fairly well for decks........I have used Deckscapes from Sherwin Williams with some success. The rule of thumb is to use SEMI-transparent stain for decks but in your case that's not going to work.
I agree, indoors or out trying to match existing stained wood to new is a challenge with anything semi-transparent. That said, you might try a gallon of something that might bring the new wood close to the old. Even going a darker shade now will never get the new wood and old to blend perfectly. If what you are dealing with is a patch to one section of the deck, this could never look right.

Indoors, mixed woods, especially in exotic recycle South American and Indonesian hardwood blends, is the look to have! I have to say, some of the floors I specified before taken out of the race do look rather spectacular, mis-matched in color though they may seem at first.

I have never liked using solid color stain products on deck surfaces. The only solid color deck stain I ever attempted to use on a horizontal deck surface was the stuff from MAB. Sherwin Williams bought the company a few years back and I hope some of the great MAB formulas with it.

Do know the more pigment you rely on in a deck stain the more regularly and attentively you should expect to have to maintain it.

You mentioned you could live with a sealer. Whatever you do, do not use something like Thompson's or your nightmares now will seem small in no time. Thompson's is a liquid wax based product.

Last edited by user1007; 05-24-2012 at 10:28 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you for all of the replies!

Advertisement

vldoo is offline   Reply With Quote