Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

deck stain peeling

a 20 year stain started peeling after the first year. did I do something wrong?

Nevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,140

deck stain peeling

Gonna need lots more info. How did you prep? What condition was the deck in when stained? What type of stain (solid or semi-transparent) did you use? Was it oil or latex? What brand? What was the weather like when you stained? Was the deck wet when stain was applied? Did you stain over paint? Are the deck boards cupped allowing rainwater to settle on the deck boards? Did you use Behr stain? It is notoriously unreliable. P.S. A pic would help. P.S.S. There is no such thing as a 20 year stain.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
Nevette (05-20-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

deck stain peeling

Specific but related question. Was the decking treated and did you wait the requisite 6-12 months before staining needed for most types of treatment?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-17-2013), Nevette (05-20-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,054

deck stain peeling

There is no such thing as a 20 year warrentyed stain.
You would be lucky to get 2 years.
If it's peeling then to me that would mean it's a soild stain that never should have been used on a deck.
Railings and ballisters would be fine but not on a deck.
Nevette (05-20-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

deck stain peeling

I find it beyond hilarious and no doubt you have to find a copy on the back of the peeling stain chips that will happen after a season, but Behr offers 25 years on vertical surfaces and 10 on deck surfaces.

US Forestry Department did an extensive study on all exterior stain products and found 3 years to be a trustworthy average number of years from a stain product for deck surfaces. Of course if factored into the average, products like Behr bring the number down. I still tell people to plan on deck maintenance every 3-5 years though. If they get more, they will be happy campers. If they plan and budget on 3-5 they will be ready for the expense. Unfortunately a deck that is not maintained deteriorates rapidly.

Last edited by user1007; 05-17-2013 at 06:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Nevette (05-20-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #6

deck stain peeling

I guess we all agree.........20 year warranty is hilarious! We've discussed decks on here many times. I would say the consensus is what Sdsester stated......." 3 years to be a trustworthy # for deck surfaces." Decks take a beating. No other part of a house gets abused quite like a deck does. Summer heat, winter cold, ice, rain, hail, sleet, foot traffic. I've just never found any kind of deck stain that lasts more than 3 years. In fact, I tell all my customers to expect to treat their deck every 2 years to keep it looking good and keep it protected. I usually go with CWF-UV for decks........for the money it gives a solid 2-3 years of protection.
Nevette (05-20-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

deck stain peeling

Found this....

http://www.deckstainhelp.com/behr-deck-stain-review/

Obviously it is not Consumer Reports!
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Nevette (05-20-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #8

deck stain peeling

"The worst we have ever tested." "Buyer beware."

Here's the CWF review: http://www.deckstainhelp.com/flood-c...-stain-review/

Last edited by Gymschu; 05-17-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Nevette (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

deck stain peeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
"The worst we have ever tested." "Buyer beware."

Here's the CWF review: http://www.deckstainhelp.com/flood-c...-stain-review/
Flood is what my painter used. The back deck had never been stained and the front deck had some Behr stain that had been pressure washed.

He figures every couple of years I will have to wash and reapply but no big deal. It isn't very expensive. If you look at the pictures I posted on the other thread you can see parts of the deck with the Flood applied. I had thought I might need to replace but it evens out nice.

The really interesting thing is I thought I would replace the back deck underpinning. I had used cedar fence material to make it on the theory cedar didn't rot. It was never treated and must have been there 10 years or better. The bottom did rot and the cedar looked awful. Spayed with the Flood it looks good except for the bottom where it wicked water and rotted. I am going to place a cedar trim piece across the bottom, stain it and I should be good for another ten year except for the maintenance reapplication when I stain the deck.
wdpcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

deck stain peeling

Thanks all! Yes, the wood is very worn and abused so I not only power washed, but scrubbed the deck also with a janitor's broom and wash solution. I don't remember the brand, but it wasn't Behr, but it touted 20 years vertical, 15 years on horizontal.....I was so bummed when it peeled and chipped the first season! The more I have researched, the more I see that 2 years seems to be the norm to keep your deck protected. I do prefer a solid stain (the wood is very worn and in need of the extra protection...and it just makes it look better if only for a little while) but if a semi would give me proper coverage and protection then turn me on to it!! I obviously cant trust the labels!
Nevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:50 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,000

deck stain peeling

IMO, one of the main reasons that solid stains fail on deck surfaces is prep failure, not product failure. Wood that has been exposed to UV for a time develops a top layer of loosely bonded wood fiber, and power washing doesn't exactly remove it. This breakdown begins in as little as one-two weeks, according to the US Forest Service.
UV destroys the lignin in the wood. Lignin is to wood what mortar is to a brick wall, it bonds the wood cells to each other. Some wood prep products claim to remove this dead layer, but I don't trust them. I sand all my flat surfaces. I don't do a whole lot of decks, but the ones I've done with solid stain have not failed in that way.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Nevette (05-24-2013)