Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Deck Stain Mistake! What should I do to save this project?

Hi everyone!

I have a 1200-sq-ft, 2-story deck behind my building in Chicago. I noticed the wood was greening earlier in the summer (it hadn't been sealed for 7 years), and purchased TWP 1500 in a dark color, after speaking with OPWDecks/The Sealer Store (they suggested it would hide any flaws and look great, i think it ended up being too dark and muddy looking).

After waiting months for a good weather window to power wash, let dry 48 hours, and then stain the deck, I thought I had a clear week but ended up with rain 6 hours after application.

What's more, I think it was applied incorrectly. The power washing went great, and Restore-A-Deck Cleaner was used to remove most of the dirt and green.

They applied the stain on the top deck and stairs, it seeped through the cracks and looks horrible on the underneath deck boards, and there are drip spots all over the unstained portions of the lower deck (see photos), but they said it was half done and planned to come back the next day to finish the bottom deck.
Then it rained.

I now have water spots, greasy tacky stairs, and everything looks muddy, uneven and horrible.

I hated the color, but not as much as I hate the ugliness of a half stained ruined deck

So now what should I do?

I'm thinking of re-power washing this weekend to strip all of the ruined stain, and then letting the unstained deck sit through the winter until I have the muster to restart this project in the spring. After all, the weather in Chicago is nothing but rain and cold now, and soon enough snow!

But I just can't leave it the way it is, half done and ruined.

Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks so much!
I'm having so many panic attacks about getting this fixed before the winter!

PHOTOS here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1079967...eat=directlink

byrdiblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:28 AM   #2

Were they cutting and rolling?

Old 10-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #3

Applying a product when it gets rain on it shortly after application can be disastrous, especially this time of year.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #4

Was it done by pros or just painters looking for extra income? Only out now is strip it, neutralize and then coat new. I would suggest Ready Seal. As long as the deck is dry to 12% when you seal it, it can rain right after and the finish will not be affected.
CaptRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:10 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I know it is an extra expense but you really should do the undersides of the landings too! I cannot imagine a pro letting paint drip from landing to landing that way. You might introduce you workers to the concept of drop cloths.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, stain, staining, wood