DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Deck Stain HELP!!!!

9K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Justabottle 
#1 ·
Okay, we just moved into our first home with a deck and today I tried to put on some Behr Deck stain that looks like crap!!! I am now reading that I should have used either a Sikkens or Cabots product. I cleaned the deck very good and the wood was seasoned for about 9 months, so we are good on that end. I tried spraying it on and then back rolling it, but it just left streaks all over the place. I now want to finish this deck with either Cabots or Sikkens, but do I need to totally strip what I just put on today in order to redo the deck or can I get away with putting one of these two products over this Behr crap?

Thanks

#2 ·
Unfortunately, the best course of action would be to remove the Behr
...or at least as much as possible, in order for the new coating to sink in

However, depending on which specific products you used, and which specific products you are planning on using, a simple "old finish remover and/or cleaner" type product (and powerwash), rather than a stripper type product, may be just fine

#3 ·
Here is the product I put on the deck today:

A transparent finish designed for exterior wood decks, fences, siding and patio furniture. Its penetrating oil formula with easy water clean-up combines the benefits of and oil-based finish with the ease and convenience of a water-based product.
  • UV Protection Against Fading
  • Mildew Resistant Finish
  • Silicone-Enhanced Penetrating Formula
  • Easy Water Clean-Up
  • MFG Brand Name : BEHR
  • MFG Model # : 50105
  • MFG Part # : 501
  • Use Location : Exterior
I am thinking of using one of the Cabots oil based products or the Sikkens SDR (think that's what it's called).

So any suggestions now?

Also, suggestions on what product to use to help get the old crap off? I do have a power washer on hand, so can use that as well.

Thanks for the help!

#4 ·
Oh God....
Yeah that stuff is complete and total crap

Go to a Real Paint Store and see what they carry
The Cabot's Problem Solver Deck Cleaner may be enough
See if they have the Wolman's or Flood old finish removers
They are a little beefier
Whichever is fine, though, really
With a little luck any of the above should do the trick

The Cabot's Oil or Sikkens SRD (oil) would be excellent choices

Fortunately, that Behr is a clear, so the slight color of the C/S stains will (hopefully) cover just fine...as long as enough B is removed to allow the stains to penetrate

#7 ·
Deck stain over new stain :(

I have been trying to refinish my deck since Memorial Day Weekend, but with all the rain it's been the longest unfinished project I've ever had..the green started growing back....there was a break in the weather a few days ago, so I stained the majority of the deck floor, however I can't stand the color ..behr premium semi transparent redwood...I'd like to choose another color, prefer semi transparent. Do I have to take this stain off? What's the path of least resistance? The deck is quite large and I'm a single mother with very little free time, now thinking the $900 quotes to redo was a bargain after all...

#10 ·
The Sikkens SRD is the BEST for transparent finishes. They grind the oxide pigments so fine that you will not get any blotching.

The BEST semi transparent products are Wolman Durastain and the Cabot Alkyd Decking stain.

These three products have consistently rated as the Best in Consumer Reports.

There are plenty of good finish removers to get rid of the Behr.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.