Deck Stain Clear Coat Question - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Deck Stain Clear Coat Question

I have just applied a waterbased stain to my deck and I was wondering if there is a clearcoat on the marker that would go on over a water based solid stain. The reason I am looking for this is that my Greyhounds and all the foot traffic usually make the stain peel in time. I am looking for something that will make the flooring more durable.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

delusiondejavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Did the solid stain product suggest it was the product of choice for an exposed horizontal deck? Using solid stains on decks concerns me. I would have backed down to a semi-solid or semi-transparent given the traffic yours will endure.

In any event, and in your situation, I don't think you gain anything with a clear coat. For one thing, you are only protecting one side of the timber. I would just build touch-up into your maintenance schedule.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Did the solid stain product suggest it was the product of choice for an exposed horizontal deck? Using solid stains on decks concerns me. I would have backed down to a semi-solid or semi-transparent given the traffic yours will endure.

In any event, and in your situation, I don't think you gain anything with a clear coat. For one thing, you are only protecting one side of the timber. I would just build touch-up into your maintenance schedule.

It was the Premium Behr Solid Stain and yes the package said for all wood surfaces. I had used a semi-transparent in the past and it ended up doing the same thing. Kids drag chairs and dog nails usually chip a little here and there. (Yes I trim the dogs nails ) I should have gone with composite deck even tho I really don't like it.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,956

Even if there was a magical clear-coat for stained decks........it would scratch just like it does without the clear coat. What do you gain with a clear coat?
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #5

Like a hardwood floor has a clear protective coating.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Apples to oranges. Hopefully, an indoor hardwood floor or even a covered porch floor is not as exposed to the elements as a deck surface that gets wet and dries out (from both sides) heats up, cools down, expands and contracts. Anything put on it must do the same. There is no clear coat I know of that will. And, materials that might do not have the UV protection to keep them from turning cloudy or yellowing in the sun.

Thompson's has tried to a point with their hideous wax-based sealers. They can ruin a deck and even when they work to a point you only get a season out of coating with wax left behind in the grain in places making it hard to refinish.

I don't think their is a magic bullet out there for you. It sounds like your kids and the dogs love playing on the deck so that is good news. I think you just have to allocate regular maintenance to keeping it up. Upgrading away from a box store stain might help some in stretching out the intervals between needing to touch it up.

Would one of the nicer looking outdoor area rugs help you think? Some rival interior options in terms of color and texture choices. There are all sorts and sizes to choose from to match whatever outdoor furniture you have.

Last edited by user1007; 04-26-2013 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Added Images
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Apples to oranges. Hopefully, an indoor hardwood floor or even a covered porch floor is not as exposed to the elements as a deck surface that gets wet and dries out (from both sides) heats up, cools down, expands and contracts. Anything put on it must do the same. There is no clear coat I know of that will. And, materials that might do not have the UV protection to keep them from turning cloudy or yellowing in the sun.

Thompson's has tried to a point with their hideous wax-based sealers. They can ruin a deck and even when they work to a point you only get a season out of coating with wax left behind in the grain in places making it hard to refinish.

I don't think their is a magic bullet out there for you. It sounds like your kids and the dogs love playing on the deck so that is good news. I think you just have to allocate regular maintenance to keeping it up. Upgrading away from a box store stain might help some in stretching out the intervals between needing to touch it up.

Would one of the nicer looking outdoor area rugs help you think? Some rival interior options in terms of color and texture choices. There are all sorts and sizes to choose from to match whatever outdoor furniture you have.

Thanks for all the advice! Looks like I will just keep touching up and I might try to see if they have an outdoor runner and use it to help with the dog traffic to the yard.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 4,956

I will also mention that any Behr product is next to worthless. Maybe try a stain from Sherwin-Williams or Benjamin Moore. Of course you would then have to strip off the worthless Behr stain for best results.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
I will also mention that any Behr product is next to worthless. Maybe try a stain from Sherwin-Williams or Benjamin Moore. Of course you would then have to strip off the worthless Behr stain for best results.
I wouldn't say all Behr products are useless as my house is nicely painted with Behr products. The stain on my fence has held up for over 3yrs and I haven't had to redo it yet. I will try another brand in a yr or 2 if this one is not holding up.

Advertisement