Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2010, 07:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

deck stain

What is the best oil based penetrating stain that does not have to be wiped down after initial application? We had a disaster with Sherwin Williams water based stain and have just finished installing a new 1500 sf pressure treated deck. We are very nervous about applying anything that will cause another huge issue.

Gail T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 514

deck stain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail T View Post
What is the best oil based penetrating stain that does not have to be wiped down after initial application? We had a disaster with Sherwin Williams water based stain and have just finished installing a new 1500 sf pressure treated deck. We are very nervous about applying anything that will cause another huge issue.
I'm not sure what you mean wipe down after application? I'm not familiar with any deck stain that needs to be wiped down after application and we do a lot of deck restoration. The brands that I prefer are Sikkens and cabott deck stains, they both have oil/alkyd base stains.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

deck stain

Here's my process for a deck:

1. Make sure your wood is clean and dry. New pressure treated wood can be loaded with moisture. Give it plenty of time to dry out.

2. Apply a lightly tinted oil based deck stain. (ex: Cabots Clear Solutions - Cedar or Redwood Naturaltone)

3. Apply it thin!! Use a brush and apply it in long strokes but don't build up a layer. If so, you'll be sorry. Work only in the shade on cool surfaces.

4. Repeat every 3 years or so. Decks take a beating from the sun and weather and it's unrealistic to expect coatings to last real long.
hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote