DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Deck Stain

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  housepaintingny 
#1 ·
Built a new deck last year. It has not been stained or sealed.

I do not care about appearances, I just want to take care of the deck in a way that will make it as low-maintenance as possible. When we bought the house, it had a monsterously neglected deck on the back.. rotting wood.. disaster.

My first thought was to get a water based solid stain. I liked the idea of making the deck blue. I read that Flood was a good brand. Of course, Flood solid stain is totally not sold in my area (New Jersey).

So that forced me to look into it more and I'm reading about solid stains peeling and I don't want to have a disaster on my hands. I like the idea of the solid stain possibly lasting 4-5 years.. but the more I read the more I don't know if that's even possible. I have NO experience with this stuff.
We have twin babies right now and I just want to go to a store, buy some deck cleaner and some kind of stain, do a nice job of staining/sealing/protecting the deck.. and not have to think about it again for as long as possible. Does anyone have any recommendations on what product will best allow that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.