Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2009, 10:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Deck Stain

I'm wondering what I can do to improve the look of my deck. I just stained it last weekend and 3 days after finishing it rained for about a day and a half straight. In the pictures you can see where the wood/stain is lighter in certain areas. It didn't look like that until after the rain. I used Behr Premium Weatherproofing Wood Finish. I've stained the deck every year for about 4-5 years and after about 6 months it looks horrible, really washed out. I dont know if it is caused by the sun or sitting water. The wood pieces that are vertical always look better leading me to believe water is causing the wood to lose its stained color. Is there a product I can put on after stain to help prevent this?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Deck Stain-dscn0441.jpg   Deck Stain-dscn0442.jpg   Deck Stain-dscn0444.jpg   Deck Stain-dscn0445.jpg  

cincycuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
the Musigician

Deck Stain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycuse View Post
I used Behr Premium Weatherproofing Wood Finish.
i'm not gonna say it....i'm not gonna say it....

DM

Old 06-04-2009, 11:39 AM   #3

Deck Stain

I'm guessing you dont like Behr products. What do you recommend?
cincycuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
the Musigician

Deck Stain

if you search this site for 'behr', you'll see i'm certainly not alone. i buy very little from the bigbox stores. the USA made nails from lowes is about the only thing lately, (MAZE stormguard 10D double hot dipped nails, peru, illinois) ...they don't bend in half like 'griprite' made in taiwan nails seem to so often.
personally, i use boiled linseed oil on my outdoor wood, but I'm sure others here can recommend much better products that you can purchase for your particular needs.

DM
Old 06-05-2009, 08:21 AM   #5

Deck Stain

Behr does not have a great rep out here either but they do sell a lot of product.

As far as what to do now, well you may be stuck unless you strip the heck out of the deck and start fresh. Products I would recommend now would be Sikkens Rubbol Dek which is a solid oil to cover that.......if you can strip it down to a uniform state maybe Sikkens SRD semi-trans......the regular SRD maybe to transparent to hide minor imperfections. Or just keep using Behr every year.........BM does make a Semi-Solid Oil deck stain as well......
BMDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #6

Deck Stain

What color did you use?

skippygrl is offline   Reply With Quote