Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #1

Share |

Deck semi transparent solid stain

Which brand gives best results? Behr is top rated in Consumer Reports for solid stain. But our painter recommends semi transparent solid stain. That is what we have used before.

PBinford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

There is semi-transparent and then there is solid stain. Two different things.

Read the horror stories about Behr deck stain and paint on this site or for that matter check out the actual consumer postings on the Consumer Reports site. Behr is not well regarded either here nor there.

I assume your deck is new so I would encourage you to think about a semi-transparent stain. I never was convinced solid stain on a deck was a good idea. If you must, Sherwin Williams and MAB (probably one in the same formulas now) would be my first choice but only because I know them best. Get a quality brand from a real paint store, not a box store.

Whatever you choose come to grips that staining your deck is going to be something you will have to do every 2-3 years to keep it looking nice and regardless of what any product claims might be. And stay away from wax based sealers like Thompsons.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-26-2012)
Old 05-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #3

look here for real time info
http://www.deckstainhelp.com/
CaptRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptRandy For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-26-2012), user1007 (05-26-2012)
Old 05-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post

Read the horror stories about Behr deck stain and paint on this site or for that matter check out the actual consumer postings on the Consumer Reports site. Behr is not well regarded either here nor there.

I assume your deck is new so I would encourage you to think about a semi-transparent stain. I never was convinced solid stain on a deck was a good idea. If you must, Sherwin Williams and MAB (probably one in the same formulas now) would be my first choice but only because I know them best. Get a quality brand from a real paint store, not a box store.

Whatever you choose come to grips that staining your deck is going to be something you will have to do every 2-3 years to keep it looking nice and regardless of what any product claims might be. And stay away from wax based sealers like Thompsons.
Kind of makes you think that weathered, grey look might not be so bad....
pucks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #5

Quote:

By the way, Ben Moore does have both semi-transparent and semi-solid, so OP could be talking about those maybe?
Old 05-27-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucks101 View Post
Leaving it alone depends on the wood though. Something like fir or pine needs a stain or sealer to prolong the life of the wood. If you have A grade redwood or cedar heartwood with lots of natural oil in it you could let it go grey and not do much to it. Most people do not like that look and it seldom turns grey evenly and never when the chemicals and minerals from a muncipal water supply get to it.

I raced a 35 foot Cheoy Lee Lion that never came out of salt water except for hull resurfacing. It had a teak deck that was never touched with anything but to clean it once in awhile. Using anything with an oil or wax in it would have made it impossible to sail I think as it would have been like creating an ice rink. And the teak did not need anything.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Leaving it alone depends on the wood though. Something like fir or pine needs a stain or sealer to prolong the life of the wood. If you have A grade redwood or cedar heartwood with lots of natural oil in it you could let it go grey and not do much to it. Most people do not like that look and it seldom turns grey evenly and never when the chemicals and minerals from a muncipal water supply get to it.

I raced a 35 foot Cheoy Lee Lion that never came out of salt water except for hull resurfacing. It had a teak deck that was never touched with anything but to clean it once in awhile. Using anything with an oil or wax in it would have made it impossible to sail I think as it would have been like creating an ice rink. And the teak did not need anything.
True- I was assuming the "average" or "typical" cedar & pressure treated deck/fence. Mostly because I could never afford to make anything out of teak & when using any of the softer woods outdoors, it's likely to only be on vertical structure (i.e., shed), and most likely using paint not stain.