Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #1

Share |

DECK OVER...anybody use it on conctrete

if so, did you scrub it down,prime it as BEHR wants it.did you do 2 coats? I planning on doing a walk way by summer end color suggestions welcomed thinking light gray.. light blue mix..75' to the left of the light pole bouys is a connecting bay to the Atlantic Ocean..thanx

Last edited by biggles; 07-04-2013 at 10:54 AM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #2

I haven't used this stuff. Just watched the YouTube vid for it. It looks like the same type product as Rustolem deck restore. Olympic, and Ben Moore (Super Deck) also make a version. All can go on concrete, all look and feel quite similar, although the Rustolem and the Behr go on twice as thick as the other two.

I've been researching those three (not the Behr though) for a 1,200 foot deck I'm doing this summer. Think I'm going with the Rustolem.

I would also be interested if anyone has used any of these products, and how they performed.

Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
Remodel and New Build GC

I've used the ructoleoum restore over concrete... and I think the stuff is great.... note this was a sidewalk... not a driveway.

Had a flip home had to do extensive repair on, with small pitting also, and multi color concrete in it.

Did it in a deck matching color.... mixed two colors. Looked great and has gone through one winter still looking great. Note that as a sidewalk, was easy to roll homogeneously/ evenly.

Actually, got idea from a neighbor who did his wood deck. I don't think decking comes out looking as good .... not so much a problem with the product, but more with applying it.

First, no very good way to get it into the edges of deck boards, which is a minor detraction in looks. Neighbors deck had built in benches, and as he had to cut-in around them, the entire texture of restore changes, and it tends to look "messy".

However, it does fill excellently, and if you've got splintered old decking, and an easy to roll decking, it will make a vast improvement.

On concrete, I love it.

Best
Gymschu (07-09-2013), Jmayspaint (07-04-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #4

what consistancy is that Rustoleoum restore right out of the can how was the coverage in Sq Ft per gallon..thanx
Old 07-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
Remodel and New Build GC

Ya know... That was well over a year ago, and I could not quote the coverage to you..... but it's not great.... it goes on heavy, two coats is recommended... and I used two coats. ( I remember dry time between coats being very short... I think several hours)

It's thick. maybe like orange peel spray texture, or heavy pea soup.

Funny, I just came back from HD getting garden stuff for my wife, and noticed a display for "Deck Over".... some painted boards display.... it apparently appears to go on much thinner than Rustoleum.... my guess is it does not fill as well... but you may not need/want that property.

Best

Peter
Old 07-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #6

Pete,that was my first question on the consistency to the HD guy... little lighter then pancake syrup I have it at 4 gallons going with 5G bucket $160 did you prep the area or just hit it with paint....i'll wire brush the concrete box by box...thanx Ray
Old 07-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
Remodel and New Build GC

Big..... On my new concrete repairs, I had broomed them, and actually pock-marked distressed them a little to match/ meld-in with the existing old concrete walkway.

The old walkway was pock-marked and worn.... I just power washed it.

As best I can tell, it looked pretty much like your sidewalk.

(If I had a high finish concrete application, I'm not sure what I'd do. Probably call their technical people.... and maybe hit it with muriatic acid?)

(As a matter of fact... I had called their technical people when I did it. My concern was that the boxes basically advertized a wood deck application, with just a small comment like "may be used on concrete". I wasn't sure if concrete really was a good application. The guy explained that performance was just as good /viable on concrete, but for a marketing reason, their packaging was directed toward wood deck application. I also asked him, and he told me it was a latex paint product.... I'm just surprized how well it has worn with our snow removal etc as a mere latex paint?)

Good going

Best
Old 07-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #8

good morning ....still is there...saw this video on decking redo with your product seems like syrup consistence is that how it was going down on the concrete.the DECK OVER seems thinner going to look at using Rusto-Leum Restore
Old 07-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles
.the DECK OVER seems thinner going to look at using Rusto-Leum Restore

It does go on thinner. The Rustolem goes on twice as thick as the other products in this category. Its spread rate is 25-30 ft per gallon (two coats).

While three similar products; Behr,Olympic, and Super Deck versions, have a spread rate of 50 ft per gallon (two coats).
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:26 AM   #10

thanks..... I would go with the thicker less coverage for a deck especially on that first roll.