Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #1

Share |

Deck with mixed cedar and redwood

I have an older (20 year old) deck that was originally built with beautiful redwood.

This year I had to replace the stairs as well as about 20% of the boards that were rotted out, due some problems. I couldn't really source any redwood decking where a live, at least not without paying an exorbitant price for it, so I decided to use cedar instead.

I'd like to re-finish the deck now and need some advice. The cedar, obviously has a bit different color than the redwood, which is more "red". I'm planing on drum sanding the redwood boards.

How could I achieve a seamless finish, so that the cedar boards are made the same color as the redwood boards after painting? Any ideas are most welcome! Thanks in advance!

siki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #2

You said painting?Are you really going to paint it or stain it?

mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
You said painting?Are you really going to paint it or stain it?
Well that's part of the question. I don't know if I should paint or stain it. Wouldn't staining it make it harder to match the color on the 2 different types of wood?
Old 05-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #4
Civil Engineer

Not clear why you picked redwood and cedar if you plan to paint. Those are typically premium priced woods, usually used because they do not require painting or even staining. If you paint, of course you can match the color, but perhaps even after painting the grain will look a little different. As to staining, I think you would have a very hard time matching color with a stain, due to different takeup by the two different woods.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #5

I didn't really "pick" redwood. The house that I bought came with it. When I wanted to fix some of the problem areas on the deck I picked cedar, as I thought that would be the closest to redwood.

I am however a little perplexed about what your said about cedar and redwood not needing any kind of painting or staining? They then just weather to a silver-brown and loose some of the nice characteristics of the wood.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

Certainly redwood and cedar weather. Some people like the look of weathered cedar. If you paint them, they also lose the look of natural wood. All I was saying is that many people pay the premium price for redwood because they do not need to spend extra money painting, staining or sealing it. My deck is made of ipe, which like cedar or redwood weathers to a greyish color, and does not require painting, staining or sealing. If you want to retain the original look, then you need to use a clear penetrant type sealer, but if you don't mind the weathered look, it gives you more time to enjoy a beer on the deck.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote