Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2005, 03:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Red face

Daughter's Room

4Sea GreenVerdana

Hello,
Just wondering if there's anyone out there who can answer a few questions from a nervous Mum about to embark on painting daughters room.
Of course with her being 15 we are talking adventurous - for me - not your straightforward pastel shade emulsion.

I need to paint over wallpaper ( because the paper is keeping the wall in place and I can't afford a skim ) ; don't know if that's relevant but thought I'd say just in case ...

Anyways having trekked round a few DIY stores daughter is quite taken with the new ranges of metallic paints - but likes the deeper colours available in some emulsions - so is it possible /practical/ durable to paint metallic ranges over emulsion? ( Test patches she has done seem alright - but I can't afford to do the whole lot again if it all flakes off )

Secondly she is hoping to stencil with the metallic paint on to the skirting boards ( which will be deep purple gloss ) - is this doable/durable too?

Thirdly - I had a really cruddy job made of putting doors on an airing cupboard in her room - sad but have to live with it - this monstrosity is part wood, part MDF, and part hardboard < cringe > Will it take emulsion and gloss - or would one be better than the other?

Work starts in earnest this weekend.
Wish us luck!

Cheers
Daft Asa
( worked it out yet anyone ? LOL )

Daft AsA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:36 AM   #2

Daughter's Room

If the metallic is mixed with a glaze it will be alright and not flake. Sorry can't help you with the doors.

dabshured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 05:17 PM   #3
PRO

Daughter's Room

Some wallpaper will obsorb the paint. The adheasive being water based, will begin to brake down. The problem stems from the lack of bonding structure left in the adheasive. It may begin to bubble and cause an auful finnish.

They make a tool called a wallpaper tiger, that helps strip the paper, check it out.

Just food for thought.

Bob