Darn Humidity - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2008, 10:01 AM   #1
Another DIY Zombie

Rewards Points: 250

Darn Humidity

We are re-painting our dining room. Actually, we are painting more than that, but this is the current project. I aplied 2 coats of paint-hiding-primer on Friday (about 6 hours between coats). Then applied the 1st coat of new paint early Saturday morning. It looked great! But had a couple of small areas, where the coverage was not great. So, I applied a 2nd coat. I do not know what I was thinking!! The humidity was sky-high on Saturday, and it got worse by the time I was done painting. Granted, the 2nd coat went on well, but when I pulled the tape from the corners (we are going to have 1 wall an accent wall). I saw bubbles on the adjoining primed walls (primed the night before) as I pulled, then about half-way up the wall, the tape pulled a piece of primer from the adjoining wall and actually pulled a good section of paint that I just put down (about 2" x 8").

Obviously, the 2nd coat of primer never really adhered to the 1st. So, now I have a dilemma. I have a small section that can easily be patched, but what to do about the rest of the wall? Do I just wait for the bad results to start to appear?

On another topic. I was going to finish painting this room and was thinking of using our portable dehumdifier that drains to the sump, then put a fan in the window to try and dump the hot exhaust air (from the unit) outside. Another idea is to put a small A/C unit in the window.

Our temps have been in the upper 80's and the humidity has been around 70-80%.

Advertisement

javan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Darn Humidity

Hey Javan, seems like your in a similar situation then me!

I would wait at least a week for the paint to cure more. I waited 1 day between the things i tried and it just ended up making more of a mess. I really dont think our problem is hard to fix, its just one of those "be patient" jobs. Myself im going to wait till friday before i even look at the spot again.

Once the paint has time to cure some more, i would make sure there isnt some paint hanging off by sanding just a little, then put some mud, let it dry, sand, prime twice then paint. Of course take the proper time between each of these steps so this doesnt happen all over again.

As for the other parts of the wall, dont worry about it until, and if, it does the same bubbling. If it does, i would wait till it cures then lightly scrape or sand the bubbles off and do the same steps starting from the mud. If you try to tackle it too soon, youll just end up with the paint peeling off.

Hope this helps

Advertisement

simonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
Another DIY Zombie

Darn Humidity

Yep! I am in the waiting game. I turned the dehumidifier on yesterday morning. It has run on and off since then. I tried sanding last night, and was actually able to smooth it quite a bit. I will check it again tonight and see how it looks. So much work to do and it is all contingent on the completion of the painting. I hate waiting!
Old 06-10-2008, 04:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Darn Humidity

Same here, cant put in cabinets till the paint is done, so everything is on a standstill. Mind you it give me time to clean up my work area and have a couple beer tonight
simonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:42 AM   #5
Another DIY Zombie

Darn Humidity

Here I thought the problems were due to humidity... Last night I put a coat of paint on 2 of the other walls in the room. I made sure and waited until the humidity was much lower and painted away. Again, taped a corner, this time, did the cut-in, rolled one section, then pulled the tape off (nice results). Anyhow, I work my way around the two wall and notice a spot that is bubbling. I stop painting and scratch it with my finger and I see an area that is showing the old paint, and some joint compound. Now, on this wall, I had patched a few spots, then primed the entire wall with color hiding primer. My guess is that the color hiding primer should not have been used over the JC. I guess that I have learned a lesson there. ALWAYS USE THE PRODUCT FOR IT'S INTENDED USE!

Othere that one spot, the rest of the wall came out nice. I hope to paint the 4th wall today, then fix the problem from last week on the weekend. Then maybe I can get the floor guy back in, as well get my molding up!
Old 06-12-2008, 07:49 PM   #6
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Darn Humidity

Though those conditions are not ideal for painting, neither are they that horrible
Your specific product may not have been up to the task, either not the correct product or an inferior product
And your tape technique (especially how you paint to the tape) may not have helped (one of the reasons I'd recommend not using tape to "cut lines")
Your prep also could be a factor (failure to dust the walls and especially drywall repairs after sanding is high on the "Paint Fail" list), as is other types of contamination (failure to wash, or using the wrong type of cleaner)
Also, there is almost never a reason for two coats of primer

Any or all of these missteps could ruin a paint/primer job

If you were using Kilz2 (or other latex Kilz) then I'd suggest a nice problem solving primer like Gardz to soak into that stuff (the Kilz2 on the walls) and seal it before continuing
That stuff has an un-exceptably high failure rate
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:49 AM   #7
Another DIY Zombie

Darn Humidity

It's funny, but I tend to be a tad meticulous when it comes to prepping for painting, from sanding to vacuuming, to wiping down walls, etc. I did all but the final wipe down on this job. I am in too much of a hurry!

Regarding the kilz, (any variation of it), I have only used it twice with limited results. Once was in our newly renovated bathroom, and it has failed nicely (yep, another painting job waiting fore me), and an office where I had some mold and it has performed well.

The reason for the two coats of primer was due to the color of the previous wall (somewhere between mauve and fuscia). After one coat, we could still see the color coming through and the new color would be very light...

So, no tape for cutting in? How do the pros do it? Use a paint board?
Old 06-13-2008, 08:24 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 502

Darn Humidity

Yeah, you did not need those two coats of primer. You see, unless the primer is specifically designed as a "hiding" primer, it hides quite poorly. It is entirely expected that you will see the undercoat show through, even after a proper coat of primer. The purpose of most primers is to seal the surface and possibly prevent stains from bleeding through. The sealing helps the paint maintain a consistent sheen and not soak right into the drywall.

The job of hiding the existing color is usually meant for the paint itself. The most notable exception to this is red, which is often greatly assisted by a grey-tinted hiding primer underneath.

That said, I have been priming everything in my house (although with just a single coat) because I have extensive drywall repairs, and I have absolutely no confidence in the painting work of the previous owners. (i.e. I don't trust their scab-red "accent wall" to not bleed through my yellow.)

Light colors actually have the best hide because they are really loaded down with Titanium Dioxide, (white pigment) which is far more opaque than the pigments used for colors.

Putting on two coats of primer is just extra work. I'd rather apply a third coat of paint to the very occasional room that needed it over applying a second coat of primer all the time.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:05 AM   #9
Another DIY Zombie

Darn Humidity

The primer was color hiding primer by Zinseer. Was only going to do one coat, but the previous paint was still showing through, so we went with the 2nd coat.

Conversley, on a horrible red wall in another room, we used 3 coats of new paint and that worked fine. That is what we should have done here, and only used the drywall primer for the small repair spots.

Live and learn.

How about the question on cutting, such as an inside corner where you have two different colors. I was thinkign of getting one of those long plastic sheilds and just using that rather than taping....
Old 06-13-2008, 08:24 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 502

Darn Humidity

This is as good a time as any to practice cutting in. For working an inside corner, you should not even need a shield. There are any number of videos on YouTube that should demonstrate proper technique. All you need is a fairly steady hand, and a quality brush. (A 2 1/2" Purdy, Wooster, or Corona Angle Sash brush would be good here.) You won't be as fast as the pros, and maybe not laser-straight, but with some practice, you should be able to do a decent job, and the skill will serve you well as you paint other parts of your house.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:01 PM   #11
Another DIY Zombie

Darn Humidity

Well, I already have the 2-1/2" Purdy Sash brush. I will give it a try freehand.....
Old 06-16-2008, 12:43 PM   #12
Another DIY Zombie

Darn Humidity

Wife is going to fix my mistakes with a tiny brush (I made a horrible mess doing it free hand)
Old 06-16-2008, 01:31 PM   #13
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Darn Humidity

Well, you wouldn't be the first one to get it done that way
Good luck
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:11 PM   #14
Another DIY Zombie

Darn Humidity

Well, my opinion is to not have two different colors at an inside corner. It seems so simple to me....

Of course, that why I love ceiling molding!

Advertisement