Damp Proof Paint. Yes Or No? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Damp proof paint. Yes or no?

Hi guys just bought house few months ago that I'm refurbing to move into my house has just been plastered from top to bottom and the first coat done, I have a small patch in the corner wall that is damp this is due to facty house is sandstone fronted and pointing is poor and need fixed however it is not time of year to do it

Is it worth doing the damp seal even though it's still penetrating thru the sandstone and cavity Don't see point of getting the 2 coats put on to finish then find out I could have damp sealed

Looking at polycell damp proof. Fo the record the wall finished will beagnolia or natural calico. (cream)

Advertisement

foxyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

The problem with any damp seal approach is that you tend to seal problems inside. Masonry is supposed to and has to breathe. And you create a permanent maintenance task beyond your wildest imagination if you seal problems in. I think you need to wait this curing process out and give the materials a chance.

If you have a major moisture issue that was never addressed properly. You may be looking forward to wasting lots of money.

I think I would try a cheap dehumidifier or two first. Not sure where you are? Foxy and UK caught my attention. Got any teeth (Obvious and fair question to a Brit?) How could you possibly feel about Klowns or Morons from outer space. Danger Mouse cannot fault me for being so nice and asking. He has not seen the latter movie and it comes with very British accents.

Used to work for a major US retailer that sold dehumidifiers. My job was to determine the fate of those and other machines returned. I was shocked at the failure rate. I would send them off to be rebuilt and refurbished. Those refurbished work in homes of friends and have been working for many years now.

I would never buy a new one but you can pick them up, for chimp change, with full warranty in the boneyard part of the store or from some of the closeout places. Look for the refurb ones. Same warranty as new ones as I remember but some 6 year old Chinese girl took the time to put it together again instead of her 3 year old brother who assembled it in the first place.

If you are in London, really Foxy. May I send you a voltage converter and a dehumidifier? St. Valentine's Day is just around the corner. I know he is the patron saint of beekeepers. I will stick a bottle of honey inside the voltage converter.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 01-15-2012 at 06:07 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 712

If you want to seal in the mold so it can grow inside the wall fine.
To late now but all that should have been sealed up on the outside before any inside work started.
Now your going to be stuck with an on going stain issue.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
user1007 (01-15-2012)
Old 01-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,306

SD & Joe are correct. Even though you may successfully stop water penetration with damp proof paint, you still have moisture issues that are now unseen in and behind the wall. I only used damp proof paint for very minor moisture issues or as a little extra insurance for POTENTIAL future problems, i.e., a gutter gets clogged and overflows into a basement corner, etc. Most moisture problems have to be tackled from the OUTSIDE which is usually a very large expense of excavating & applying proper water blocking membranes on the exterior of the basement walls as well as adding a "weeping" drainage system to direct water away from the exterior walls. So, to answer your question, No I wouldn't bother with the damp proof paint for now.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
user1007 (01-15-2012)