Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #1

Share |

Damaged paint when removing tape

Hello.
We recently painted our first room and didn't realize we needed to score the paint and painters tape before removing the tape. The result is in the pictures below. Some sections had pulls in the paint that are scraggly and visible.

How can I recover from this before applying a second coat? Do I need to scrape those edges? I am concerned that these little pulls will become big pulls when I try to clean them up since it's latex. If I just paint over it is it likely that the paint would peel there?

Any advice or help is appreciated!

In the future I'm not even going to use tape.

Nate J
Attached Images

somuchjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #2

I'd see this as a great excuse to add some crown molding.

GottaFixIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #3

Unfortunately that's not in the cards right now. Maybe a few years down the road.

I want a good looking paint job in the meantime!
Old 08-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #4

How about a nice wall paper border?
GottaFixIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #5

I'm looking for a solution that ends with paint on the wall!
Old 08-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #6

It looks to me like you taped over fairly new paint on the wall to do the ceiling???? Always work from the top down. Most professional painters seldon use tape. Your eye and your brush are better than tape. With some practice you will get a better line free hand than the posibility of tape pulling off your finish coats and paint leaking under the tape, and you could always touch up the other side easier than the taping paint pull offs. (Is that anything like pull ups)

Now how to fix. IMHO, I would scrape off any loose paint (if the paint on the wall is new, you may want to give it a day or two more to cure prior to scraping, otherwise you will be pulling half the new paint like peeling skin from a sunburn). Depending how smooth you want the finish you may need to skim coat with joint compound, let it dry, then sand and PRIME prior to doing your final paint coat, making sure to get the dust off of any surfaces. If your wall paint is fairly new the dust will stick to it until the paint has had time to cure. Then touch up the ceiling where needed. Let that dry and then paint the wall and do not use tape. There are some really good videos to show you how to paint "cut" a straight line between the ceiling and the wall. With practice you will be amazed how well you can do.
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to m1951mm For This Useful Post:
GottaFixIt (08-09-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Go just below where it is loose with a rezor knife, remove loose paint, apply joint compond over bare spots, sand, clean, prime and re paint.Done
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
GottaFixIt (08-09-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #8

Thanks Chrisn, thanks m!

So after I cut (or scrape) the hanging pieces, spackle, sand, and prime, would you say I'd need to do two coats of color on the spackled surface since the rest of the wall will be receiving two coats?

Also, when I go to paint a second coat, will I need to wash the wall in the area to make sure the dust from the spackle isn't adhering to the surface? If so, will a damp cloth do the job and not damage the new paint in the area?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just realizing that details matter in painting!

Thanks again for your help!
Nate

For the record, we did paint top down. The tape was on the ceiling, but as I painted the wall and got some on the tape, the paint gripped to the tape and came up when I pulled off the tape.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #9

you will have to clean the dust ,, you can use a vacume while sanding to minimise it. also I agree ..masking tape is for the "interior decorator" types on the home improvement networks. I just use a brush and have a damp rag handy to catch any straying or drips.
Aphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:19 PM   #10

Painting without using painter's tape.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:42 AM   #11

Cleaning off the dust should be done right after sanding and prior to ANY painting being done. The entire surface below the repair will get dust on it. A damp, I mean damp, sponge or rag will get the dust. I like the large grout sponges you can get at the box stores for this. They are large and dense and ring out well. You do not need to rub, just wipe all the way to the floor. As I mentioned earlier the dust will stick to the fresh paint more so than if the paint had some time to cure.

Since you are skiming the repair you are adding thickness to the wall. A good prime coat is another layer. When you do your final color coats you will need to "feather" those coats and blend to the rest of the wall. Since you are working with such a deep color you will probably need two coats to get good coverage for the color sake not the thickness issue.
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to m1951mm For This Useful Post:
somuchjackson (08-10-2011)
Old 08-10-2011, 07:07 AM   #12

Thanks again! I think I have enough detail to go ahead now!