Cutting In And Painting Walls - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

Cutting in and painting walls

I'm new to painting internal walls and have been reading about the
Accubrush. Does anyone know if the Accubrush is worth trying. I'm after a neat cut in line with a smooth finish on the walls. OR if there is any other method I should use. Would the accubrush be better to use opposed to these sponge brushes with wheels at the end which enables the paint to keep away from the corners?

Advertisement

LibbyW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 616

Walk onto any real job site and see if you can find one pro painter using one of those toys. Not going to happen.
There all going to be using 2-1/2 Perdy or Wooster sash brushes. There must be something to them.
You can cut in far faster less mess, less gaps, and less clean up time with a sash brush.
Just a little practice is all it takes.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
LibbyW1 (01-09-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Walk onto any real job site and see if you can find one pro painter using one of those toys. Not going to happen.
There all going to be using 2-1/2 Perdy or Wooster sash brushes. There must be something to them.
You can cut in far faster less mess, less gaps, and less clean up time with a sash brush.
What the pros do is largely irrelevant to the homeowner who is an occasional painter. It's like saying that you should install a commercial range in your kitchen because that's what professional chefs use. Not helpful. It just ain't true...that "a little practice is what it takes". It takes a fair amount of practice. If you paint your whole house, by the time you finish your last room the cutting in along the ceiling will just getting to acceptable. And that requires going back over ALL the rest of the rooms and touching up with wall and ceiling paint. That's how long it took me to get it right and I have an unusually steady hand and am very comfortable with paint and brushes.

That said most of those painting contraptions are gimmicks from what I can tell. Perhaps they work OK but I've never heard anyone sing their praises. Consider carefully applied painter's tape, at least along the ceiling, if you try one of those gizmos and they don't work
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironlight For This Useful Post:
LibbyW1 (01-09-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 616

Using tape with allow the paint to drip down behind the tape causing more touch up time, it also tends to end up peeling off paint or even the sheetrock paper. I've seen it dozens of times with DIY painters.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

LIbby, welcome to the forum. Joe is right that you'll never see a pro using one, or any other gadgets for that matter. I agree with Ironlight that things like that are gimmicky, and I also agree with Iron in what he said to Joe. It's not that easy to pick up, at least not without some pointers, of which there are a lot online. I have a tutorial online which might help, it's done so for others. Notice the holding of the brush in the pics, that's a good first start, just holding the brush properly. With pointers and some practice, you should do fine. Check my blog at diypaintingguide.org, link below.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
LibbyW1 (01-09-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Using tape with allow the paint to drip down behind the tape causing more touch up time, it also tends to end up peeling off paint or even the sheetrock paper. I've seen it dozens of times with DIY painters.
When I have used tape along the ceiling I've only had very occasional bleeding behind the tape if I have been careful in my application. I've never had tape pull up paint except if it was old paint that was already failing.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,278

The #1 problem with any of the gimmicks used to cut in is this: the wall/ceiling junction is NEVER perfectly square so to cut in a perfect line is not possible with the gadgets. That's why the brush is the tool of choice. A painter can see and feel that line and make it LOOK perfect even though it really isn't, if that makes sense. Give the Accubrush a try.........the only way to know if it works is to try it.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
DUDE! (02-03-2012), LibbyW1 (01-09-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

i was looking at that accubrush and if it is what i think it, is its not cheap .also the reviews were very bad .their were some excellent but i wonder about those.anywho if your not going to cut it in by hand, i think tape would not be the worst choice.

Last edited by ltd; 01-08-2012 at 09:34 PM.
ltd is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (01-09-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 01:30 AM   #9

I would like to thank all who have taken time to reply to my query. I've taken it all on board and have bought a brush to do this work along with using the tape. Thanks again......
LibbyW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,278

Ltd, always good advice..............check the reviews first.......usually if there's more negative than positive, I say "pass."
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
ltd (01-09-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

if you can't get the hang of cutting freehand with a brush, just make sure you lay the tape carefully.

only tape where you need to, i.e. paint walls first and then tape for trim, or vice-versa. Allow as much time as possible for paint to dry before putting tape on it.

Another helpful thing is that if you are choosing light, off-white colours for walls, then the cut lines are hard to see against a white ceiling, and you can get away with "curvier" cut-lines

ARC Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ARC Painting For This Useful Post:
DrHicks (01-10-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #12
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,094

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlight View Post
What the pros do is largely irrelevant to the homeowner who is an occasional painter. It's like saying that you should install a commercial range in your kitchen because that's what professional chefs use. Not helpful. It just ain't true...that "a little practice is what it takes". It takes a fair amount of practice. If you paint your whole house, by the time you finish your last room the cutting in along the ceiling will just getting to acceptable. And that requires going back over ALL the rest of the rooms and touching up with wall and ceiling paint. That's how long it took me to get it right and I have an unusually steady hand and am very comfortable with paint and brushes.

That said most of those painting contraptions are gimmicks from what I can tell. Perhaps they work OK but I've never heard anyone sing their praises. Consider carefully applied painter's tape, at least along the ceiling, if you try one of those gizmos and they don't work
Exactly!

On occasion, I tried some of those devices. Painting pad, etc. Some were okay, but were just as hard to use successfully as a good paint brush.

If you're a novice, be sure to carefully apply blue masking tape. It'll help a lot. Just be sure to carefully pull it off - at an angle - within 24 hours.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #13

This may or may not be helpful. I actually saw this on Holmes for Homes on HGTV. The man doing the painting said to run a spackle knife at the seam between the ceiling and wall, making a faint line. Then use the line as a guide to paint to using a sash brush. I tried it, it worked better for me than the painting pads and edgers I invested a fortune in. I guess having a great deal of patience helps and a wet paper towel in hand to wipe the goofs off too.
NanaJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #14
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 538

Quote:
Just a heads up.. Not all pros use a 2.5 inch sash brush. Some of us use 3inch flat brushes by Purdy, not Perdy.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #15
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 538

Quote:
Just a heads up.. Not all pros use a 2.5 inch sash brush. A sash brush is for window sashes, as the name suggest. Some of us use 3inch flat brushes by Purdy, not Perdy.

Advertisement

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote