Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2009, 08:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Cutting in to baseboards?

I searched the forums and lots of questions about "order" of painting my question is the Art of cutting in to baseboards. Do the pros paint the walls first and then cut in on the baseboard? Or do they paint the baseboard with wide stokes and then cut in to the wall?

I guess what i'm asking is, is the magic cutting on the walls or the baseboard? I had a pro do a former house and its amazing how straight the line is on the top of my baseboard. When i do the cutting (either on wall or baseboard) at least every 3 feet i'm too high or too low and it makes the wall look crooked.

what's the magic?

windowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

The Magic is that they are a Pro, not the sequence of application

Pros will have their own preference, depending on the situation
Though when using all water-based paints, many of today's Pros tend to lean toward trim first, walls last, at least with re-paints
With oils on the trim it's a different story...sometimes...it depends

With new construction, it also can vary (due to other concerns), and may be one then the other than next coat back to the first...etc...

Basic Rule with DIY Re-paints is:
Whatever gets you the best results

If you cut a wall better than trim, by all means do the wall last

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #3
onlinehandyman

I'm a handyman who does painting, but to get a straight line I always use painters tape. I wonder if the pros can make the line without the tape - sounds like you would really have to be a artist to do that.

onlinehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

All painters cut in a straight line and never use tape. WE could not afford it. Tape takes longer and will bleed enough to not get a perfect line. Tape costs too much money. And we already spent that on quality paint and a quality brush. Both of which a DIYer seems to not appreciate
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #5

If you're having a hard time cutting in, use a small artist's paint brush to do your cutting in to get a near perfect edge.

Then, use a 3 inch roller and a piece of sheet metal to paint up to the baseboard without getting paint on it.

When I do this, I wrap one edge of the sheet metal with painter's masking tape to prevent marking the walls. Also, after a while your masking tape will be all caked up with partially dried paint. You just replace your masking tape and you're good to go again.

Also, don't start with a fully loaded roller right at the sheet metal. Load up your roller, hold the sheet metal in place against the baseboard, and spread the paint up to the sheet metal. There should be enough paint in the roller sleeve to properly cover the wall, but not so much that the paint squeezes under the sheet metal and onto the baseboard.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:49 AM   #6

So Bob,

i know you guys don't use tape, the pros always cut in.. so let whast do you prefer? to cut into the wall, or the base board. ?

i can't figure it out.. if you cut into the wall your straight line is on the wall, if you cut into the baseboard you have to be an expert to balance the brush on that teenie tiny top edge of the board.

i have mucho respect for your guys ability to make that straight line.
windowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:40 AM   #7
Remodeling Contractor

I work from the top down. Ceilings, wall, trim and them baseboard. Using a short handle 2" angled brush for cutting in along the trim edges. Keep you body balanced and your shoulders square will help. Feel the flow...not the force.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:59 PM   #8

2080 by 3m. costs about 6.00 a roll. inch and a half. I have been a painter for 15 years and always take the time to tape. Paint the trim first. Allow it about an hour to dry(unless oil is used) tape your trim, cut and roll your walls twice and pull your tape off straight out from your walls slowly. Your lines will be perfect.
DGideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:08 AM   #9
Contractor

20 + years here.. I never use tape to achieve a line. For one thing you rarely have perfectly straight lines to tape to. Being a DIY forum though, you very well may want to use tape Base is always the last thing I coat.
Cheers
cobracdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:20 AM   #10
onlinehandyman

Interesting, well you guys are the pros! As I mentioned I am a handyman not a professional painter. I could see where the tape could get costly and time consuming.

Being a handyman not always but in many places, it is the only way that I can make the lines look right. I give you guys credit, what you do is not as easy as it looks. Also thanks for the info - questions and the ability to share information like this is what makes these boards so valuable.

onlinehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote