Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2008, 09:58 AM   #1

Share |

custom "sheen"

hello. i am trying to match some trim to custom white painted kitchen cabinets (they were painted w/ two conversion varnish with special 30 degree top coat). i was actually able to find near identical color match in BM but the "stock" sheens - flat, semi gloss, gloss, dont match the top coat that was used on cabinets. the sheen i need falls b/t two of them, not quite semi gloss but more than satin.

is it possible to "make" custom sheen by mixing several batches of test batches, ie 50/50 mix of satin and semi gloss or 25/75 mix until i get correct "sheen"?

any info/knowledge will be greatly appreciated.

haclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:23 AM   #2

custom "sheen"

The have the "Pearl" finish which falls between eggshell and semi-gloss.

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:40 AM   #3

custom "sheen"

i dont have cans in front of me but i need a sheen that falls b/t two stock ones. it may be pearl and semi. if you get what i mean, the cabinets aren't as flat as the stock satin one but also not as shiny as the next stock steen in line. i asked the paint guy and he said the sheen is changed in factory by the amount of solids in the mix so he felt i could get what i need if i tediously create mixes of the two (after they are mixed well before test batch) but he wasn't certain so i though i bounce around and see if any one had any info. thanks again for trying to help.

at the end of the day i may just choose the stock one that's closest but wife to be is picky. i could also go with i asked but they say it cant be done.....
Old 12-12-2008, 02:25 PM   #4

custom "sheen"

Yes, you can do what you're thinking. As long as the paints you're mixing are from the same Manufacturer's line, (like both Pratt & Lambert Accolade paints or both Benjamin Moore Aura paints or both Sherwin Williams SuperPaint) then you shouldn't have any problems. It's only when you mix paints from different lines from the same manufacturer or different manufacturers that you run the risk that you MIGHT have incompatability problems between the different additives in the two paints.

So, you should be able to mix a gloss red Sherwin Williams SuperPaint with a flat white Sherwin Williams SuperPaint to make a pink satin or semigloss paint.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:07 PM   #5

custom "sheen"

Yes you will be able to do just what you are wanting to do. As mentioned it is best if they are the same paint line with just a different sheen.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:59 PM   #6

custom "sheen"

thank you all. i have the confidence to try now. looks like i'll be breaking out some shot glasses and the ol turkey baster. (the shot glasses will be again used later tommorrow evening after the mixing has commenced) the paints are same exact color and brand, just the sheen of one is less than cabinet and the other one is just shinier(sp) than the cabinets. amazingly BM makes enough whites that we were able to find color that is what i think (and more importantly, she thinks) are the same (under both natural and artifical light!) just the sheen is slightly off.

i figure i will make 3 to start and then more if necessary. .25/.75, .5/.5, and .75/.25

thank you again.