Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
NAV

Share |

custom color making

hey, for all you tint experts out there I have a question:

I made about 4 gallons of a light gray our of interior Superpaint and Pro-Mar 200. I would like to make it more blue - what can i add?

the colors that are in it are:

2 gallons of light tan
1 gallon pink - the pink ruined it
1 gallon of dark blue

I am afraid to add more dark blue and make a darker gray - am i stuck with what i have or should i risk adding more left over paint? its for my basement drywall.

NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
VP Queen

custom color making

Have you tried adding some blue universal tint? You can find them at Home Depot.

Remember that there are no pure colors. The tan you used is some direction toward either yellow, green, or red. The blue you are invisioning will be a blue towards a green, brown or red. Most likely if you add the dark blue you will end up with some thing more towards purple than grey.

Plaster Ayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:26 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

custom color making

It sounds to me that in addition to the color you think you have, you also have three different tint bases with all that comes with them going on too. Without knowing what paint color bases you started with, you are just gambling. You are never going to get a color match to what you have in mind the way you have dumped stuff together. Start over. Or if it is close enough, and all the same paint? Put it on as your first base coat and hope you can cover it in one pass with he color you choose for the finished product.

Last edited by user1007; 12-06-2009 at 06:29 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:24 AM   #4
NAV

custom color making

I do not have a exact color in mind - i am just looking to make the color i have now (light gray) more blue.

I can tell you that one gallon is a deep base and the others are probably a extra whit base.

existing tints in the color i have are red, gold and probably some black. I think i will keep the color i have, its not a bad color. I really dont want it to go purple or green so I can live with gray.

thanks for the input, i know its close to imposable to give advice on this. I was looking for tips like - yellow and blue make green - add x to make y. you know.
NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #5
(the original)

custom color making

Blue is a primary color, meaning there is no x + y = blue Good choice to stick with what you have, if you can live with it. I agree that adding more blue would probably move toward purple/brown.
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

custom color making

Just an afterthought. Why don't you see if you can get your hands on some tint bottles and try tinting just a bit of the paint before doing it all? You will see if you can make it work. Maybe you will get lucky?

My MAB and Benjamin Moore paint color guys are wizards when it comes to figuring out what to add to out of the book formulas to tweak things. You might ask your equivalents.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote