Cursive Script Address Sign - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cursive Script Address Sign

I just recently changed my garage doors. I really loved these garage doors however I needed something more. The installers referred me to a website to order custom script style address signs. I ordered this sign from www.addresssign.ca. They first gave me a free font proof with sizing. I ordered it and installed it myself. It looked so good that I needed to change my lights. I noticed that after a year my lights started to have the paint flake off after spending so much money. The lights are made out of resin material will this material handle re-painting?
Attached Thumbnails
Cursive Script Address Sign-17brook.jpg  

Advertisement

Don2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

To be safe, I would remove any flaking and failing paint. Then since they are a plastic resin material I would use a paint for plastics or a plastic primer and whatever you want over the top.

Krylon Fusion is made for plastic, is self-priming and comes in rattle cans in ultra flat camo, flat, satin and gloss black. Perfect for your situation? Rustoleum also makes plastic primer in liquid and rattle cans. They also make a self-priming plastic paint in rattle cans but in more limited colors which does not concern you. I believe they have a flat black and a gloss black. I mention both because one may be easier for you to find than the other.

I've never used the Rustoleum products but the company is not known for making claims it cannot stand behind. I usually needed colors but would have no hesitation using the Rustoleum product. I have used Krylon Fusion inside and outside with great success. It has even held up extremely well on children's outdoor playsets.

That said, anything painted black is going to draw lots of heat so you will probably have to touch the lights up every year or two just by nature of the dark color. And hollow plastic things like light fixtures---cheap plastic landscape lights come to mind---eventually turn brittle and start to crumble or fracture in chunks.

As with any paint project 98 percent of a successful job is in the prep so clean thoroughly, mask off areas you do not want painted, and rough up the surface a bit to improve adhesion. With rattle cans you do know you will get the best finish with multiple thin coats rather than trying to cover in just one or two right?

Just a thought, an auto parts store might have smaller rattle cans of plastic paint but you will probably use up at least one of the larger ones for this. Turn the can upside down and blow the compressed gas out the nozzle to clean before storing leftovers.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 09-04-2012 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Added Photos
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,730

Moved to Painting forum.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Just recently bought this paint. Adheres very well to the script address sign.
Don2012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garage door , resin light painting , written address sign