Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2008, 07:37 PM   #1

Share |

Curious to know if anyone has seen CR interior paint ranking?

Just saw the newest version where you guys favorite paint (behr) has fallen from grace being replaced by Kilz Casual Colors #1 Low Luster, Ben Moore #1 Flat, and Valspar # Semi Gloss. Would love to here what you guys think of this.

dcheek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

As usual, I wish they would actually use some professional painters and some others in the field (designers, colorists), as well as some actual field tests
It would change the outcome significantly

They really could use some realistic criteria and real world application tests

For some further reading on the subject (specific to the older tests, which btw they reprinted for years as "new":

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
Those high rated paints in CR are baffeling
One has to keep in mind those paints are made and marketed to sell to a specific market
Many DIYers have different criteria then someone more familiar with the painting process, and there is paint designed and marketed to them

Things like cost, the wet paint in the can looking like the chip and drying fast
Making the paint perform that way, it doesn't make the paint perform or look better, in fact, it doesn't perform or look good at all
But it address' novice DIY consumer one project concerns

Things like maintaining a wet edge, smooth lay out, even sheen, and easy touch-up rarely enter a one-time, or even part time DIYers criteria
Never mind better adhesion, better coverage, better workability, better resistance to abrasion, and better fade resistance
Those things make a better paint

I enjoy and support the CU and their magazine CR
They are full of interesting information
When they say that certain air filters spew more ozone then clean up the air I listen
When they say the new 28volt cordless drills melt their internals driving lag bolts I take note

They certainly do use the Scientific Method (note caps) for repeatable quantifiable tests and test results

However:
When I am buying a new computer I check the ratings from PC World, not CR
When buying a vehicle, I may see what CR says, but will defer to Car & Driver or Autoweek
When CR does not recommend any hammer drills (none!) because of the noise they make, I basically agree with them
For most Homeowners a hammer drill is not the right tool
But if you are building decks....you are going to need one

My point in regards to CRs paint testing is:

CR does not use professional painters, or professional painting criteria to evaluate paint

There's maybe one or two testing areas out of seven (going from memory here) that mean anything to a professional painter
....and many other areas that are very important to me that aren't even touched

I find the CR test results interesting
But the reality of the situation is that the paints I find better (easier, quicker, more reliable) to work with from a professional standpoint, the DIYer will also find better to work with, will reduce the time and effort for the project, and have a nicer looking project when finished

I can't even begin to tell you how many DIYer problems show up on these forums that are solved by better tools and better paints

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:35 PM   #3

I think that Consumers deliberately keeps the focus away from professionals so that the experienced user down to the neophyte user gets an objective and unemotional picture of each candidate tested. Ergo, "Consumers Report". The average end user doesn't buy or use enough of anything to be aware of the problems, shortcomings, pitfalls, etc. that the pros and power users will encounter on a day-to-day basis. Figure that the average consumer buys a can of paint and paints the room or trim or whatever over a weekend. That one project may be the last time he or she picks up a paint brush or roller over the next two or three years.
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:20 AM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp

One will never get a professional looking paint job with products and tools a professional wouldn't touch even if you paid them...which, of course, people do pay them...I think that speaks volumes right there.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:26 PM   #5
jms

real world application is the key
Go back and see 4 or 5 years later to see what it looks like is the key
Does it work over and over and over again like it should or is it a 2 or 3 time
test.
jms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:21 PM   #6

Consumer runs a one time test. There isn't any time component involved. THey also only rate dry film performance, and not application properties, so even if it was "consumer based", they aren't doing consumers any favors because the ones they have typically rated high are difficult to put on.

The largest flaw in their testing is that they appear to rate only one "paint" but as any painter will tell you, a pastel paint will feel and work a lot differently than a dark color/ultra base. The better paint manufacturers out there have good products no matter the color, or at least more consistency, but other paints will focus mostly on a particular base and neglect the others.
DIYHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:23 PM   #7
Tired, Cold, and Damp

At least they finally did actual new tests this time....

The older test results have been the "new/latest CR paint report" for over five years
They just kept packaging the (same old) data differently for the 'latest' issue
Old 02-17-2008, 09:18 AM   #8
remodeling pro

I always wanted to meet the people who voted Behr paints as such good stuff. Mostly, after they have punished themselves painting their house with this crap, I would like to buy them one gallon of real paint and watch the expression on their face when they roll it on and see the results

Like posted by others, when in doubt about brands, see what the pros are using. They are not paying more $ per gallon of paint just because they want to waste money, it's because they know that in the end, the quality product will be less expensive to use, and give better results. Gaurantee you won't find any true profesional painters (not handymen) with a job full of Behr or Lowes American Tradition paints. The mid line Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams products will out perform these so called "premium" paints, any where, any time, any day

Last edited by troubleseeker; 02-17-2008 at 09:21 AM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Gaurantee you won't find any true profesional painters (not handymen) with a job full of Behr or Lowes American Tradition paints.
The average person does not have the experience of a professional painter and paints only every so often. The results are often commeasurate with the expectations. Behr sells more gallons of paint than you or I probably have hair on our heads, so, despite the lack of appeal to professional painters, Consumers still has to test and rank Behr paints along with other popular consumer available brands. And Home Depot sells enough of the stuff to make it a top contender among consumers.

Yes, I'm a "professional" handyman by trade and I generally have to use whatever paint my customer tells me to use. I don't paint rooms or houses, I only touch up what's already there. So, to me, brand is a non-issue. The paint has to match what's already there. Yet, I do have business accounts with Dunn-Edwards - the dominant brand - and also with ACE for Benjamin Moore. In spite of that, I do think it's important to remember that just because a person claims he or she is a "professional" doesn't necessarily attest to the actual quality of the work they do. I've come across enough bad paint jobs from so-called "professional painters" who thinned the paint down as far as they could, masked areas poorly and did a horrendous job of cutting trim. And some so-called "professional handymen" are simply working for their daily "beer and cigarettes". Ham-handed and unqualified.

Speaking for myself, I actually DO take great pride in my work, my skillset, my experience and my knowledge. My repeat business and customer recommendations speak for themselves.

Also, this is DIY Forum - not a contractor's site - and many DIY-ers buy Behr or Olympia or Traditions primarily because of the $299/No Interest/NoPayment for 12 months deals that are regularly offered by Home Depot and Lowes. Many consumers will apply for the store's card so as to get an additional 10% off of the first purchase, along with the deferred payment plan. If someone is remodelling on a budget, that's important.

Last edited by End Grain; 02-17-2008 at 10:36 AM.
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote