Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #1

Share |

curing primer / topcoat before taping edges

I just put primer over new drywall - using ben moore ecospec. I want to do a dark accent wall (3 walls light, one dark) also using 2 coats of ecospec flat finish.

I think I need to tape the corners and ceiling where colors meet before I paint the dark wall - my hands are too shaky to freehand. This ecospec paint seems to dry fast - under an hour - so I'm thinking I will topcoat the 3 lighter walls (2 coats) one day, then tape the corners and try a couple coats on the accent wall maybe next day. Do I need to let the topcoat cure longer than that? I don't want the tape peeling off any "fresh" paint. I will wait if it's safer. I assume since it's a flat paint I might be able to fix any goof-ups a bit easier, but would really rather avoid any.
rtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:08 AM   #2

That should be fine. Use a blue or green painter's tape and really press down the one edge. As an insurance policy, remove the tape as soon as your light color is dry.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:41 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

such as this must be orange inside
Attached Images

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:37 AM   #4

thanks for the tips

I'll definitely remember to remove the tape as recommended.

I have a roll of "no name" blue tape from the big box store that they advertise as painters tape (no orange markings anywhere on the roll or the package) - assumed it's pretty much all the same. Guess this assumption could have been another lesson learned for me? I have no problem tossing that roll and running out to get the Scotch brand tape if that will save me some pain.

thanks again for the advice.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:13 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

No need to toss it, just do not use it on any paint that is not fully cured( which means a month)
Old 06-23-2010, 09:47 AM   #6

thanks chrisn - it will go in the "extra parts" bin - I have a sort of related question around the 1 month cure time - don't laugh - is it possible (or even normal) to see subtle changes to the overall look of a surface over this period? Like if I paint a room, let it dry, then inspect my work a couple times after drying (same day or next day) then leave the job for a week or so, and come back and it almost looks "smoother" - almost like another coat or better coverage - does this mean I'm losing it? (I am getting older). I am finding from reading around here that paint can have some interesting properties - but I still might be losing it.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Well,I don't know if you are loosing it but latex paint does take a month to fully cure so you might certainly see subtle changes. I have never noticed myself but that does not really mean anything as my wife would say I don't notice anything anyway
Old 06-24-2010, 06:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Well,I don't know if you are loosing it but latex paint does take a month to fully cure so you might certainly see subtle changes. I have never noticed myself but that does not really mean anything as my wife would say I don't notice anything anyway
yep i hear you... - in my case it's selective hearing